Allspecies

Expert tips on airbrushing

Ok so first you need to think outside of the box, many of the patterns and effects are created with everyday materials such as combs, bath sponges, netting from onion sacks heck I even manned up and went to a Joann's fabric store where I found tons of cool options for effects such as wedding vail material for which there are loads of different patterns to choose from then there are actual brush techniques such as the splatter affect which I do with a popsicle stick do a little searching here you will find quite a bit of cool options.

th_20140420_141523_zpsbebf3614.jpg

Edited by gone2long
  • Like 2

I want to say everything that I've heard of or done......but its really falls back to time of just painting. To me its using certain materials with painting. Taps, leafing with a good paint job is fantastic. Learning to layer light coats of transparent over certain pearls are great. Low pressures has made a difference for me. I understand now that small amounts produces better paint jobs. Just like Gone2long has come close or did state, imagination will go a long way also.

I'll put a picture of the bait fish in front of myself. This helps with more natural schemes, sometimes. Scales never really go to the belly area  like the third pic. Most fade away near the belling. BUT.....that might be what you like and.....if it produces fish. You cant debate that anytime.

I'll say this, you are doing very well. Keep painting, reading experimenting and imagining.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

Yes those are baits I painted. I have seen some awesome airbrush work on other baits. I do make my own stencils and have been trying to figure out how some great artists layer the paints and if they use one stencil to create the effect or use multiple ones. I can clearly see stencils being used. 

Edited by Allspecies
Picture's didn't load

I am going to finish up a peacock bass scheme that was stopped because of an emergency at home. I dont consider myself as an expert but ill use as many stencils as needed. Painting layer after layer as needed that I have in my mind picture. That one I used 4 stencils in different ways. I'm starting another bait that will have an shadow effect eagle head on both sides with a waving red, white and blue across the bait. I'll use 2 stencils for that one. I use blocking stencils for other uses. I will do eyes using stencils over foils, tapes and paints. I use certain stencils I made for fins.

Sometime ago I spent hours watching youtube and reading articles here and anywhere I could find info about this. After going through some time I started to see improvement. I set back and thought about what was making me better. Of course it was the info but now I see that it was putting what I saw into practice.....and that took time and practice. 

You already have a great foundation for this. You now need to refine it and you will just by doing the painting. You will come up with ideas that will work and ones that may not.

As Gone2long has state your well on your way, Good Luck,

Dale

If you are asking a detail question for help you can put or few pictures to describe your question. Then I could reply with an answer and pic.'s to illustrate the answer. I'm not painting right now and dont have any pic's of stencils being used. I'm working on the house right now but if I go out there I'll get some pic's of some of my most used stencils and post them.

I carve my lures so dont look for stencils that fit the side of a plastic lure. I can make them but I have had no need to do it and some time.

• Like 1

Very nice Dale. I've cut numerous stencils for some 30 blanks and haven't painted or used most of them yet.  Most of them have been cut using the PETG plastic vacuum method. Even played with using clear 2-liter pop bottle plastic and it will work too. I've discovered that maintaining the form of the bait after cutting them in half for more accurate stencils, it works if you take the same epoxy you use to coat the bait and fill the inner bait cavity to make a more rigid form. Baits like the S-Crank tend to curl from the heat and while it makes a good stencil it doesn't have a tight fit to the bait. Does anyone else have a idea they use when vacuum forming stencils

There was a toy when I was a kid that you heated and vacuum the plastic into a shape. About 12+ years ago I started painted plastic baits. I made a plywwod box, drilled some small holes on the top and a large hole to fit a shop vac on the side. I used something similar to what you use as far as the film goes. There are vids on how to make one of these boxes and how to do it. A member here likes to use milk jugs, he says they work great, I haven't use one yet so I don't know for sure.

Dale