Jig Man

Same ole same ole

I got my replacement RCBS furnace today.  I put it together and meticulously followed the directions.  It acted the same as the other pot.  It would heat up a bit then shut off.  I called and talked to a lady who said, "That doesn't sound right".  She put me through to another lady who said, "That doesn't sound right".

The second lady went and talked to a tech who said he has seen moisture cause this problem.  His advice was to empty out the lead then turn the furnace to high for a couple of minutes.  Now I am waiting for the thing to cool off enough so that I can start all over and see if it works this time.  I'm beginning to think there is a reason that they have made a new version.

Maybe I'll know something in a little while.

Well I followed the instructions got it cooled down and started from scratch.  When I got to the step of set on 650° I put in some 1/2 lb ingots and started the melt.  After 10 minutes it shut off and stayed off for 20 minutes.

I am waiting for a call from RCBS.

1 hour ago, JACOBSMOLDS said:

Your incoming line electricity isn't powerful enough to handle your needs.  I'm not an electrician but I think  you may need more AMPS. to run your shop.

If that were true, and it is not, then it would blow breakers.

I don't know the unit so I cannot comment on it for sure, but it sounds like it has a high temperature limiting switch that is not working correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JACOBSMOLDS said:

Your incoming line electricity isn't powerful enough to handle your needs.  I'm not an electrician but I think  you may need more AMPS. to run your shop.

I even plugged it in to 3 different outlets in the house and same thing.

I said I was ready to quit and get my money back but they want to try it again with a third unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

If that were true, and it is not, then it would blow breakers.

I don't know the unit so I cannot comment on it for sure, but it sounds like it has a high temperature limiting switch that is not working correctly.

I agree Archer, breaker @ house would trip before unit would shut down. 

Definitely  defective  temp circuit on unit.  

The tech that I talked with said the unit only draws 7 amps and it is on a 20 amp circuit breaker.  I make all of my baits in the garage.  My house is 13 years old.  I run my old Lee pot, air compressor, microwave, toaster oven, etc  in there and have never had an issue.

The tech said he would have the next one checked out before he shipped it today.  It just seems so strange that I would get 2 with the same problem.

I decided to try something new.  I took the pot to my detached camper building in the back yard.  I only has 30 amp breakers.  I plugged the pot into an outlet, put some lead in and set it on 650° and switched it on.  Just about the time the lead started to melt, same ole same ole... the thing shut down.  I'm thinking someone bought parts in China.

What little time I have gotten to use it I really like the unit.  But my tolerance threshold is not very high to begin with and this is getting to me. 

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 1

I found the 650 setting on mine isn't quite enough.  I usually turn up to 750 for average pours, and all the way to 850 for hard pours.  I've not had any current draw issues, and mine is plugged into a power strip were its often sharing the circuit with a Lyman dipping pot.  The stat settings may just be off a little.  That's not really all that unexpected from an analog device like that. 

Next time I fire it up I'll see what my IR meter says the lead temp is.  I tend to pour with the pot full. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

I think I told you that I had to send mine back, it worked fine but had a drip from the start. Well it was fixed and it has been awesome but the guy I talked to was great, he told me they get the parts from 3rd party vendors and it isn't uncommon for a bad lot of parts to come in and affect multiple units. In my case the spout was a hair to large and it allowed the lead to seep in behinf the plunger rod, but they knew the problem when they checked the parts before they even received my unit back, it turns out an entire lot of spouts were made to the wrong specs so there was quite a few units that had the same problem as mine.  your problem would be tough to diagnose right away because the unit turns on and will actually melt the lead but then it shuts off for far too long so unless someone sits with it for 45 minutes they would never know. I know it is frustrating and I'd be really bummed myself but at least they are working with you about it, I hope your next unit is fine and you get to crank out those NED heads!!

Thanks.  I got a call this am.  Someone is supposed to put the next one through its paces this am before they ship it to me and include notes concerning what was found and done.  I hope that they can find out the problem and fix it.  If not then I'm going to ask for a refund and wait till August when the new one comes out and give it a try.

• Like 1

I hope this is resolved for you, Jig Man. It has to be frustrating and glad to hear RCBS is working hard to resolve it. I would really like to have one of these but thought I would wait for the PID unit to show up just because of the control and added value you would get with a thermocouple and the PID. I understand these may be out August timeframe.

• Like 1

I got a call from RCBS yesterday PM.  It was one of the engineers.  We talked about the issues which I have been having.  He was perplexed at the unit shutting off and staying off long enough for the lead flow to stop.  He listed several things that could cause this issue and that he was anxiously waiting to get one of them back to find out the cause for the malfunction.

He also said that he was going to personally take a unit this morning and run it through its paces to see how it functions before shipping it to me.  Like me he was baffled that I would get 2 units with the same issue.  So I guess I'll be trying out another unit when the truck gets here from California.