markh28

What happened with my clear coat?

Painted this spoon (createx airbrush paint), let it dry for a few days then brush painted on dick nite clear.  Took care to use a pretty wide brush with decent quality and made sure there were no brush marks or runs.  Looked at it about a week later and there are these little bumps, pimples, flecks, whatever in it.  What happened and how do I prevent this?  Might have to zoom in to see it.

20170615_193421.jpg

I'm not sure those are caused by one action. At the top of the vertical white flash mark is a low spot that is usually caused by oil contamination, called "fish eye". I believe this is in the paint itself. In the middle of the horizontal white flash is a "crack". This may be caused by rough sanding or a scratch that wasn't sanded out flush. This could be in paint or clear coat. Paint just flowed into the bottom of the crack. Some of the stuff looks like dust has settled on it during the drying process. This is probably just in clear coat.  If it is for you, just fish it. If it is for sale or learning experience sand with wet or dry 400 or finer sand paper using water. Repaint and make sure to get a full coverage coat of paint on it WITHOUT putting on so much you get a run. Good luck

Edited by Musky Glenn
  • Like 1

It's hard to say what exactly it is.  If it's flecks of solid stuff, the DN may have started to cure or dry before you finished brushing the lure and brushing dislodged small flecks of hardened urethane before you finished.  DN outgases its solvent very quickly (especially on a warm humid day) so you want to coat the lure quickly and then hang it up immediately to drip off any excess and begin hardening.  I use a 1/2" flat nylon artist's brush loaded with DN and I "flood coat" the lure in a few seconds, then hang it over newspaper to drip/dry.  Clean out the holes after it has hardened.  DN is pretty unforgiving about how it is applied and handled after coating.  If the "flecks" are actually small bubbles, the humidity may have been too high during coating.  Regardless, the problem is esthetic, not functional.  It's still durable and the fish won't care a bit. 

• Like 2