ayetti

PPE for airbrushing

Just curious what you all use for safety gear while painting. I'm just starting out and at first I would just open up 4 windows in the room I was airbrushing in. It worked out all right when I was doing a bait or two, but as my enthusiasm for the hobby increases so does the amount of paint in the air. 

Interested in hearing how people have set up there paint stations, and if they wear respirators every time they paint. 

23 minutes ago, Chuck Young said:

I use mostly non toxic paint. But this paint booth works with laquer as well. A bathroom fan , ducting and dryer vent will vent the fumes outside. 

Thank you for that!! I'm definitely gonna make one. My main concern is when im doing the base coat on a bunch of baits, that paint seems to build up in the air pretty decent. I'm definitely gonna make a hood like that 

If you stay with water base paint any fan will move the particles away good enough. If you use paint with flammable base, you need to think about electrical system that is safe for that. Then you should think about a respirator that will protect you for what you are doing. 

There are some threads that we have discussed in datail, the way to make one. I found and read up about hoew to make av both and found a vid on youtube about how to make one properly. I also talk to a car body guy (high end painter). He gave me some good tips. I'm working on it now, nothing really special. Plywood, special fans, lights, filter to protect the fans, cutting, drilling, 4" duct and all whatever I need to get it right.

Edited by DaleSW

I paint in the garage with the window open and a big exhaust fan running.  Atomized acrylic airbrush paint that doesn't stick on the lure mostly becomes plastic dust.  Not something you want to be breathing in large quantities but in and of itself, it's not toxic and a dust mask seems adequate protection to me if you are sensitive to it.  Now if we're talking lacquer paint and/or other solvent based coatings, that's a whole other animal that calls for more protection. 

Edited by BobP
  • Like 3