Tnbasstracker

7" Pencil Popper or Shower Blow blanks??

Does anyone know where a man can buy some 7" pencil Popper or Shower Blow blanks? I've been looking for some for quite a while. I can find 5" but I prefer the bigger 7" for fishing Guntersville! I can't make my own wood ones because I don't have a lathe. I searched all day on the site to no avail, any help is much appreciated!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tnbasstracker said:

Does anyone know where a man can buy some 7" pencil Popper or Shower Blow blanks? I've been looking for some for quite a while. I can find 5" but I prefer the bigger 7" for fishing Guntersville! I can't make my own wood ones because I don't have a lathe. I searched all day on the site to no avail, any help is much appreciated!!!

You don't need a lathe, if you have a stationary belt sander and a dowel of the wood you want to use.

They don't have to be turned to work.

Topwaters like that are very forgiving when it comes to symmetry, as long as you get the ballast right.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys! I know I said 7" but what I would really like is a KO of the Creek Chub 9 Pin Pointer which is 9".  I tried to make a 7"  Cotton Cordell (RIP) Pencil Popper at work with a stationary belt and a hand belt sander and failed miserably. I can manage to get the vague shape of it but I screwed up the popper part & never got to test it on the water. This is what I'm wanting bigblue

CI8109-955__44222.1488506718.220.220.jpg

Yep Mark, I have made a few simular by hand and the semetry was fine. You have to have a good background in making baits by hand to do it. Heck I even made a lathe using a drill (hint, hint). Worked really well too, I used it mainly in making custome floats. I agree that a lathe is easier than by hand since I have started turning on a mini lathe myself (long time user on a full size).

You just need a profile pattern cut out to keep you consistent each time. Something to think about and remember. :yay:

Dale

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I've tried making a lathe with a drill but that didn't work out well for me. I've got a very small tabletop lathe made by Dremel but I need the part that screw to the motor to hold the wood into place. Besides that I may be able to use it. I'm gonna work on it a few more times to see what I can come up with. If I'm able to get it all working I'll post a pic 

• Like 1