bdixon1

High School Fishing Team Fundraiser

I am the principal at a small rural high school in Alabama.  Our fishing team is looking for a year around fundraiser to support the team.  We are considering offering hand poured baits locally as a way to make some money for the team.  Is this a good idea from the money perspective?

1 hour ago, bdixon1 said:

I am the principal at a small rural high school in Alabama.  Our fishing team is looking for a year around fundraiser to support the team.  We are considering offering hand poured baits locally as a way to make some money for the team.  Is this a good idea from the money perspective?

This can be something that could be done for years and can be profitable. I know there are a lot of  people out there that don't agree but you have a work force that would come at a minimal cost if any at all. Pick a couple of real popular patterns and pour your hearts out. Make colors they can't get in any other bait or popular colors in baits that don't have that color. Make a good eye catching package that states your goal(raising money for young peoples fishing team). It does not need to be fancy or cost a lot of money. Its more hard work than anything else.  On the hand poured statement change it to hand made this way you could pour or inject. Injecting is much faster and would be more profitable in the end. 

• Like 1

I agree with Frank, with some additional input.

The key to making any money on this is BRANDING.  It will not be something where you have something they can't get elsewhere, it must be that they are getting a good product that is supporting a good cause.

Nevertheless, Mark is also correct.  Initial set-up and investment will not be without cost.

Edited by Anglinarcher

Probably best to turn that research over to an unbiased source, maybe an insurance company.  Unless you live in California, most SDS (Safety Data Sheets) don't seem to see a problem with it.  Still, on this site, you would think it was semi-dangerous.

I don't want to disparage anyone's opinion on it, just saying it seems to be a point of unsubstantiated opinions so you will not find the research that easy.

Best to not take on that liability as a School Principle.

• Like 1

I believe you can make a profit if you are reasonably close to most manufactures. As one has stated you have no labor cost, but you do have material cost (most likely) that will dive up the cost. You will need molds this is where I would approach the manufacturers.

Then as Vman stated look at safety of the students. Soft bait pouring has some real safety concerns for young adults, remembering when I was one. It's a shame that it shouldn't be a no brainer to do. But that the way of the world now adays.

People will support something like this as long as you give a descent product. Good luck and let us know if y'all go for it.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Added to comment

After reading the OP I thought it best to relay some of the experiences we've had to date that may serve to give food for thought and direction.   First I would stress that either hand pouring or injecting has a learning curve to arrive at a finished product that anglers are willing to purchase, this cannot be overlooked.  2nd, there are 100's of high school & college teams that are currently or have considered this same possibility, there are only so many suppliers and they have all been subject to the same requests for free or discounted materials and can only do so much.  3rd, with all young people these days they have very busy lives:  School during the school year, sports, girlfriends/boyfriends, Xbox and so on...time available becomes the issue.   A few ideas to consider:  1)  Contract out the product, this will expedite getting product for sale.  2)  Locate one or more Bass clubs in your immediate area (In Alabama there are plenty), call the president and discuss the possibility of attending their next club meeting and showing the product(s) to them and go from there.  3)  Locate and discuss the possibility with a local retailer as to putting some of the product in their store.  I've known several high school Jr & Srs that have used a similar project as a business model for thesis papers for AP classes.  Last thought:  Every year I purchase 7-10 boxes of girl scout cookies, they're overpriced and I know they didn't make them themselves.  I purchase for the purpose...to help the girl scouts.  Point being people will purchase the baits at a higher price just don't sell them a piece of junk or they won't buy a second time.   Best to you and the kids

• Like 1