Ttownbasser

Newbie to Airbrushing got a few questions

I learned that the best way to deal with a "boo boo" is either to ignore it, or to paint over it.  I know T shirt paint converts to waterproof above a certain temperature, but I don't get my Createx paint hot enough to keep it from being dissolved by whatever I've tried to use to fix a mistake.

as fshng2 suggested, try with a scrap piece first.  a piece of pvc pipe works awesome because it does not have to be sealed and is already white.  as far as freehanding lines.  i make a stencil.  i do not have the artistic gift or the steady hands.  but you may have both of those.  what it all comes down to is practice , practice , practice.    and patience.  a good airbrush and quality airbrush paints as well.    also watch tutorials on youtube ,  lots of good tips to make your life of painting easier.    it will come but probably going to take some time.   good luck.

I have paint over the work, I have sanded it back down, I have ignored the flaw, I have blasted the paint off, I have thrown it as hard as I could in the trash with some choosin words. 

It depends on many things. I have painted for contests and I have painted for fishing these two are totally different than the other. Peoples eyes and concepts of painting is ruthless. Fish on the other hand see's food and nothing else. Be patient with yourself.

What type of paints (water, enamel, etc) you use to paint, what type of material that you are painting on. If it's wood or plastic and a water base paint, yep you have a good chance.

I don't know where your skills are so I'll start this as I did from the beginning that may help you. When I started some time ago now, I wanted to paint plastic blanks. I bought water base paints, a artist book of sketching sheets 3X3.... I think. I taught myself to do dots, lines and whatever using an dual action brush on the paper.  Pressure, paint amount and distance from the airbrush to the object can change the look in each of these. Then I took 1-11/2" pvc pipe and put in an vice and bent it like a bait shape don't worry about the ends. I painted just a few colors to get the idea. Then I started painting blanks. I free hand now using tools from hair brushes to paper clips. I use stencils of all types from luffa to stencils of eagle heads that I make. These can give you many effects.

Some times you need to give yourself a break on errors, because we all do them. And as I have stated many times, "nothing in nature is perfect and that's what makes nature perfect". 

Good luck,

Dale

• Like 1

I have been painting blanks with an airbrush for only a couple of years so I am far from an expert. I have painted fewer than a hundred blanks. I can't tell you how many blanks I have taken to the kitchen sink with dish soap and a tooth brush, cleaned the paint off as best as I could, dried it off and started over. It's part of the learning prosess. It's also one of the benefits of using water based acrylic paints. Keep practicing.

• Like 1