ravenlures

Silicone Rubber molds

All Wax Types Are Not Created Equal

The type you probably need is Modeling Wax: A wax that easily softens by the heat of your hands.

It is suitable for modeling much the same way you would work clay. Traditional modeling wax has a low melting point (around 125°F) .

FYI Wax Overview:

http://rotblattsculpture.com/Articles/waxanoverview.html

Wayne you may be on to something with your idea about wax to make a lure without a seam.

1. Shape your lure from wax or at least the outside surface. 

2. Suspend the lure shape in the box by the tail or bill slot with a nail. The nail will become the future spru runner.  

3. Pour in the mold material.

4. Pull  the nail out of the cured mold and heat mold to remove wax.

5. Determine by trial and error if a slit near the runner is needed to remove the final lure shape.

That I did not know but so far it is a failure I am switching back to clay now but I am not giving up just yet.

I Will succeed.

Wayne

Will get back to you all thanks for the information.

When I get the lure mold made I will pour one out of wax and go from there.

4 hours ago, ravenlures said:

That I did not know but so far it is a failure I am switching back to clay now but I am not giving up just yet.

I Will succeed.

Wayne

Will get back to you all thanks for the information.

When I get the lure mold made I will pour one out of wax and go from there.

Once you have your wax master it should be easy to do aesthetic tweaks to it, including blending the seam.

On 6/27/2017 at 1:46 PM, ravenlures said:

Well to start with I really think it is faster with clay. waiting for wax to harden so I can place lure in it to stay in, just as it is still soft to push lure in it.

I really think I an "CRAZY"

Wayne

Did you ever get the wax method to work? Just curious. I wonder how it would go if you used  synthetic clay to fill the majority of the one half and then poured the wax on top of that to the center line of the bait? The clay would hold the lure in place and also you wouldn't be waiting on such a large amount of wax to harden. Seems like it would work to me. 

Toby 

Are you going to make a two piece silicone mold?
You can use clay that you can melt and then pour to the center line of the bait and you will get a pretty awesome seam line. 
I recommend this clay cause it is high quality stuff I used for at least 5 years. 
Chavant NSP (Sulphur free). And you can reuse it as many times as you want. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pickadoll said:

Are you going to make a two piece silicone mold?
You can use clay that you can melt and then pour to the center line of the bait and you will get a pretty awesome seam line. 
I recommend this clay cause it is high quality stuff I used for at least 5 years. 
Chavant NSP (Sulphur free). And you can reuse it as many times as you want. 

Great. I will give that a try.

• Like 1

As someone else here does I use plaster of paris to embed the master. It is quick, but maybe not as neat as you would like... For a hard  master I can take out the master and sand nice and flat before setting the master back in and doing the second half.

• Like 1