antonio999us

Hard Bait concave lips - spooned or cupped

Hello TU friends

I do my own poly-carbonate lips for my wooden plugs. Recently I was wondering how to do some kind of little concave lips, like spooned or cupped lips (I'm not sure how to called them). I heard someone in the Forum shared a tutorial explaining how to do that.

Can somebody help me to find this material or has tips that I can follow to spooned my lips?

Thank you very much...

Check Video, Larry shows how easy it is to bend Polycarbonate ( lexan ) lips after heating with a heat gun.

I imagine a cupped or concave lip could be made by  heating and forming the lip over a wooden or metal dowel.

Note: Be safe and use adequate gloves.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cupping+lexan+lure+lips&view=detail&mid=0F367E3DEC09D13128E60F367E3DEC09D13128E6&FORM=VIRE

Edited by fshng2

Hazmail (Pete) wrote a splendid tutorial on how to form curved lips, in a thread titled:

Polycarbonate (Lexan) Lip Former.

Unfortunately, I cannot get access to the PDF files, so I am hoping Pete or someone from TU can jump in here with a solution. Perhaps re-posting the information.

Update - I did eventually manage to download the PDF by clicking the bottom PDF link in the list. Well worth a read.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Check Video, Larry shows how easy it is to bend Polycarbonate ( lexan ) lips after heating with a heat gun.

I imagine a cupped or concave lip could be made by  heating and forming the lip over a wooden or metal dowel.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cupping+lexan+lure+lips&view=detail&mid=0F367E3DEC09D13128E60F367E3DEC09D13128E6&FORM=VIRE

6 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Hello Ffhng2, thanks for your tip I watched the video and gave me some new ideas to get concave lips ... something else, thanks for the safety tip...

Edited by antonio999us

3 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Hazmail (Pete) wrote a splendid tutorial on how to form curved lips, in a thread titled:

Polycarbonate (Lexan) Lip Former.

Unfortunately, I cannot get access to the PDF files, so I am hoping Pete or someone from TU can jump in here with a solution. Perhaps re-posting the information.

Update - I did eventually manage to download the PDF by clicking the bottom PDF link in the list. Well worth a read.

Dave

Hello Dave this was great ...this is much closer to what I was looking for... I will try to follow the instructions ... thanks a lot

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Thanks for posting the tutorial Dave.

Hazmail nailed it.

I noticed in the tutorial that the Lexan will bubble if the temp is too high.

Do you recall what oil type was used, and the temp?

fshng2-- I have probably bent around 500 lips over the past few years and  have found ''rice oil'' to be the best (it has highest heat range so it smokes less), the oil needs to be about 182-1823 C  ----------''Lexan'' (poly-carbonate) is  solid up to  about 180C and  it starts to melt at about 186-188C.

You can use a bent lip either way up too (concave or convex) which will give 2 different actions and depths, and out of one bib ''blank  type'' you can make/have flat, concave or convex -

Let us know how you go--Pete

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hazmail said:

fshng2-- I have probably bent around 500 lips over the past few years and  have found ''rice oil'' to be the best (it has highest heat range so it smokes less), the oil needs to be about 182-1823 C  ----------''Lexan'' (poly-carbonate) is  solid up to  about 180C and  it starts to melt at about 186-188C.

You can use a bent lip either way up too (concave or convex) which will give 2 different actions and depths, and out of one bib ''blank  type'' you can make/have flat, concave or convex -

Let us know how you go--Pete

Going on 500 lips I would say you have this down to a science.

As well as learning about rice oil and temp, I also learned a new lip shape... convex.

Pete thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

And Dave thanks for finding the tutorial.

Harry