CaptainSeabass

Foiling Hardbaits

You did very well, its a great looking bait and would do well in the gallery.....just sayin. I notice a grommet on the eye screw for the tail hook. To me I believe this can become a issue with water infiltration. Especially if it is just held by screw pressure. If its a show and tell piece then you are alright, it will look nice. I dont use grommets except for spinner cranks, to keep the blades away from the body. These grommets that I use are secured by epoxy, water sealed out. Even then these can come loose but the bait normally has many hours on it by then.

Dale

9 hours ago, DaleSW said:

You did very well, its a great looking bait and would do well in the gallery.....just sayin. I notice a grommet on the eye screw for the tail hook. To me I believe this can become a issue with water infiltration. Especially if it is just held by screw pressure. If its a show and tell piece then you are alright, it will look nice. I dont use grommets except for spinner cranks, to keep the blades away from the body. These grommets that I use are secured by epoxy, water sealed out. Even then these can come loose but the bait normally has many hours on it by then.

Dale

Thanks for the tip Dale, will definitely keep an eye out for it!

That looks really awesome! Btw. What kind of wood do you use to carve? 
I havent made a foiled lure in a couple of years but when I saw your video I now want to do it again :)! 
I have tried many types of foiling techniques. I generally like to put the foil all around the lure so I can use the airbrush to make a smooth transition between foil and paint BUT I didnt have any picture of any lures when I did so haha! 

/David

Ladugård.jpg

Tackle.png

• Like 3

On 7/9/2017 at 9:24 PM, Pickadoll said:

That looks really awesome! Btw. What kind of wood do you use to carve? 
I havent made a foiled lure in a couple of years but when I saw your video I now want to do it again :)! 
I have tried many types of foiling techniques. I generally like to put the foil all around the lure so I can use the airbrush to make a smooth transition between foil and paint BUT I didnt have any picture of any lures when I did so haha! 

/David

Ladugård.jpg

Tackle.png

Hi David, awesome looking lures! The wood that I used is called Paulownia wood. It's very hard to come by.  I don't think the type of wood was an issue here, but I have some leftover scraps from when I was making stickbaits. Pauwlonia is slightly denser than balsa, but much stronger and easier to work with. I've just started a new topic. The crankbait in the video has already been retired as it caught a nice muskie  on the first time of using it! It was my first muskie ever and it was caught from the shore as well. A capture to never forget. Keep up the good work!

Very nice! I've had art work to trick me before, so I have to ask. The plating on the back of the first pic, is it plating or painted? I'm interested in rust looking paints as this one has, well I believe :blink:. I believe that model makers use this often for an realistic look.

Thanks

Edited by DaleSW
Adding comment

Nice looking foil work.  You will find quite few use the foil tape on lures.   Some will carve the detail in the lure and then burnish the foil on then some like to imprint the pattern on the foil and apply to the bait.  Using spray adhesive and placing tule onto the bait then foiling over also works.  I have done a lot of jerk baits that way.

I have made quite few cranks from Paulowina.  Not my favorite to use (mainly use basswood) but may just be the stuff I have.   I still have a little left in the shop.  The craw crank in my pic was a paulowina bait. 

On 2017-08-05 at 2:21 PM, DaleSW said:

Very nice! I've had art work to trick me before, so I have to ask. The plating on the back of the first pic, is it plating or painted? I'm interested in rust looking paints as this one has, well I believe :blink:. I believe that model makers use this often for an realistic look.

Thanks

I used Plastic padding to build the plating on the back of the lure and then covered it with aluminum foil and then I used a rust paint from a model painting brand like you said :)! 

• Thanks 1