Coley

Eye location

Personally i think on any bait that represents a shad the fish will key on the dot on the side. Thats personal opinion, anything thats not a shad i always put the eyes on the side of the head, or the rear if its a craw bait. The eyes on top is probably a selling to the fisherman thing not the fish themselves. I have some photo baits that barely have the eyes showing and i didn't paint any myself to make them show up, yet the baits i'm talking about have still been producing very well for me.

placement of eyes on top of cranks I think was first done because it was easier to keep eyes symetrical and make sure they were in a place that wasnt later in the way of various lip slot angles that could possibly be cut on that blank, as in Bagleys... as people coppied the lures that were popular it became stlye.

I myself feel that a fish keys in very little on fine detail of a crankbait as it is being pulled thru the water. Basic solid colors are all that is really necessary, most of the rest is done to catch the fisherman, not the fish.

with that said, I have seen instances in ultra clear cold water where realism and detail are important, but this comes in play more with suspending jerkbaits that hang motionless in the fishes face.

eyes, gills and shad spots are found in placement all over the lures by various makers, mostly just as an attempt to catch the fisherman. I personally like the Bagley style little beady eyes on top, they were a trademark style for Bagleys when Bagley stood for quality balsa cranks... now those big stick on eyes Perry placed way back near midsection of bait... Guess it all comes down to makers preference and attention to detail. to each his own...

I think it is whatever is more appealing to the fisherman's eyes, not really the fish. I always experiement with eye position before I make it permanent, they always seem to look better in a certain place according to the bait shape, lip placement, etc. More of the painted on eyes seem to be near the top of the bait, like the WEC TAPP and the like, but the stick-ons stick better and look better on the flater sides. just my take, but other than than, i'd say catching-concepts is right on.

ok, on this latest batch I decided to make the eyes smaller and place them higher up, more on top of baits.. I see why it is done this way, It was much quicker and far less error in getting them symetrical.

But, do they look ok? I think I like the more prominent one lower on sides? any comments?

BTW, this batch puts me over 1000 cranks made for '04, first time I have done that in 25 years! thinking its getting to be more than a hobby?

Both ways looks great. The upper eye position is the more traditional position. Your side eyes & placement is very unique though. I like that one the best personally, with that said however, my favorite and most productive bait of all time, the chatter B-III places eyes like in the first picture. Fisherman preference I guess...

BTW, do you have a closeup picture of the yellow/white bait thats stuck way in the rear of the first picture? Would like to get a better look at it, looks sharp.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

I read somewhere that preditor fish use the surface reflection of fleeing(sp?) baitfish to target and attack them.

The article I ready spoke of this in reference to the black stripe that most lure makers paint down the back of their lures and why it's used.

They were saying that although the black stripe protects the bait fish from attack from above, when it's viewed in the reflection it contrasts sharply with the sky above.

In that context, some bright, high contrast eyes on top might help the preditor even more than the back stripe alone.

Who knows though, the idea that they are easier to manufacture that way...is also a pretty strong argument :)

OK.heres my 2 cents worth.99% of strikes on a crankbait come either from the front or the front side of the bait. Ive seen this in a test tank and first hand from fishing. eye placement can be important and in my opinion it depends on the bait as to the placement.

Plugs that run more nose down I place the eyes more to the Top and Front.

Plugs that run more level,I try to place the eyes more to the sides(Jerk Baits)

The kill spot or (Shad Dot) placement is equally important.Sometimes, fish dont want to eat the bait as much as they just want to injure it.Fish will literally BUTT! the bait (still from the front but glancing from the side).Thats were the shad dot comes into play.I try to place the shad dot at the middle side of the bait if its a crankbait,and just above the middle hook on 3 hook baits.

On Top Water baits I usaully place the eyes on the bottom front and the shad dot on the bottom near the middle hooks (if 3 hooks bootm near middle hook) This can really make be important!!!!!!

I dont believe that the fish decide to eat the bait because it has eyes on the front or back. Direction of bait travel and Mother Nature determine that.How many baitfish swim backwards? Crawfish swim backwards.

I believe eyes and dots just help the fish locate the bait.You can tell alot about how the fish is attacking the bait if you observe how the bait is in his mouth when you unhook it.Eye color is important to.Ive painted alot of baits for touring anglers who want 2 of each bait with different eye colors.(Thats another topic maybe later) God Bless,JP [/u]