Kt21

New interest in making my own soft plastics. What all do I need to get started?

Looking to add even more enjoyment to fishing. Figured this to be a rewarding hobbies to do on raining days and after work. What do I need to get started. What are some beginner molds yall recommend. Best plastic to use. I don't know anything about it. Just trying to get some advice on where and how to start

My suggestion is to wait for a rainy day and start reading ...especially the " Dont's for Newbies section!

Also search this section for key words related to getting started, new, etc.

There are dozens...and dozens ...of threads with all the info you seek.

There are also some very good videos on YouTube.

• Like 1

it is a fun hobby, like already said read the safety threads first 350f burns are not fun. wear mask have plenty of ventilation. My advise is buy aluminum molds, microwave, thermometer, pancake grill, good injector, vise. Plastisol read the reviews !! to choose .  Buy one mold and try before  buying more .Cub48

• Like 1

I have no idea how serious you are and how large scale you want to go, but, I gather you want to start small, learn, then see where it goes.

So, I offer the following link:

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx

Start at the bottom and go through the ones on soft plastics.

Next, there are starter kits from a lot of companies.  The following one seems to work for many:

http://www.makelure.com/store/p/1088-MakeLure-Alumisol-Worm-Casting-Kit.aspx

On that rain day, after you have searched out the options, then dig in and have fun.

But, even the "respirator" is debatable.  Most Safety Data Sheets for Plastisol say it is NON-Toxic, unless you live in California  LOL.  It does have a smell though.  If you are a small quantity guy, well you will have to determine this yourself. 

But, Driftwood gives a great lawyer proof answer.  Personally, I don't use a respirator.  I only use a face shield if I am injecting.  I would consider it stupid to EVER GO with out gloves, they are a necessity.  I only use a microwave and borosilicate glass to melt my plastic (current Pyrex is not borosilicate and the high heat changes can break the glass). 

Good advice Driftwood, "read, read, and read some more".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

I would consider it stupid to EVER GO with out gloves, they are a necessity.  I only use a microwave and borosilicate glass to melt my plastic (current Pyrex is not borosilicate and the high heat changes can break the glass). 

Good advice Driftwood, "read, read, and read some more".

For the love all that is holy and good PLEASE wear gloves, long sleeves, pants and shoes unless you just hate your skin and feel intent on losing it in a painful fashion.  Seriously, burns caused by the molten plastisol are no joke.  I work in a burn ICU at a major hospital and have seen some horrific injuries from sticky burning substances much like the plastisol.  You can't just scrape it off or put it out; it sticks to everything it touches and just keeps burning.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bassinfool said:

For the love all that is holy and good PLEASE wear gloves, long sleeves, pants and shoes unless you just hate your skin and feel intent on losing it in a painful fashion.  Seriously, burns caused by the molten plastisol are no joke.  I work in a burn ICU at a major hospital and have seen some horrific injuries from sticky burning substances much like the plastisol.  You can't just scrape it off or put it out; it sticks to everything it touches and just keeps burning.

Sure would not advise otherwise, but to put it in perspective........

I don't wear gloves, a face shield, long sleeves, long pants, and sometimes shoes when I cook in the kitchen, and many of the foods can also be sticky, also over 350 degrees, etc.

Should I, maybe, I am not the best chief in town, but ...........

Always good to be safe, and the lawyer proof answer is to have all safety equipment.  Just saying, I personally chose to put some things in perspective.