CatchingConcepts

Mat Finish

Remember someone a while back was asking how to achieve a good matt finish, dont know if this was ever mentioned but...

I have found that spraying Krylon frosted glass spray (walmart) over your choice of 2 part epoxy topcoat will give a excellent matt finish. is just enough to knock down the gloss and still allow the colors under to show through. I would bet this is very much same thing other companies are using. you want to make sure that you spray over epoxy topcoat for durability, product adheres very well to epoxy, and also lips / plastic. be light handed a little goes a long way!

The mat finish underwater still allows the colors to come alive, and in reality, is much more realistic, you would be surprised how much of that beautiful gloss topcoat really mirrors the underwater suroundings and changes how the fish actually see the lure. That could be for the better or worse. to our eyes though, mat finish is dull, and for marketing purposes, doesnt sell well on the shelves next to those vibrant glossy finishes.

Jaime,

The results of using the Krylon finish were very good,

The results of fishing with the lures is still being experimented with.

Many of the high end Japanese lures are now available in matt finishes, and a few american made.

I fish mostly clear water, so I cant say that mat chartruese shows up better in off colored water that clear coated chart, but I have found that matt natural craw and darker colors on bright days seem to do well, will have to do much more fishing, especially sight fishing with matt colored jerkbaits where I can watch fishes reactions to pass a judgement on if and when they actually are more productive.

anyone have any experiances to share on matt colored lures?

I did some plugs a few months ago for some guys in matt.I tied Krylon first and the feed back was OK but not all good.I sprayed the Krylon over the Top Coat also.The complaint was that the finish wore off . Once a few fish were caught the Matt Coat was comprimised. The reason these guys came to me was that they were paying 16+$$ for these Lucky Craft Matt lures and the finish was coming off.

The Krylon lasted longer and looked just as good but I wasn't satisfied.I wont tolerate the finish coming off my lures.I went back to the drawing board and discovered that if I reduced the actual laquer paint with clear laquer + thinner the finish would stay on.Basic clear laquer has to be buffed to make it shine.It drys to Matt Finish.

The Matt Lures from Japan have some sort of heat shrink with a photo finish. God Bless.JP