pool 4 gold

Crankbait hooks

Just started doing my own cranks this year from Dinger baits.  In the past all I did was buy cranks on sale and re paint them.  As far as hooks go do most you guys run the short shank style trebles I assume right?  I am mainly painting them for casting wing dams for walleyes (Bomber 6A style) and curious on hook size.  I am thinking the size 4 short shanked hook but curious as to what size others run with these style baits.

I don't know the Dinger baits, but the type/style/size of hooks can depend greatly on the maker of the hook and the maker and shape of the bait.

Sometimes I take commercial baits and change from the standard length shank to a short or long shank to keep it from catching on joints, hook weight, etc.

In reality, there are a lot of reasons to choose a size, shank length, etc., so at best all you can get from us is a general guess.

• Like 1

Many guys want to run the largest hooks they can on a bass bait and that often means switching to a short shank treble to avoid tangles.  But it's not that simple.  Most short shank's tines bend inward.  That's good for avoiding hanging on cover but regular round bend hooks are better at hooking fish and that's why round bend hooks are more popular on open water baits like jerkbaits.  And thin wire round bend hooks work better for fish with softer mouths than bass.  In the circumstance you describe, I'd choose a regular round bend #6 treble, probably an Owner model.  Upgrade to a #4 only if it doesn't tangle the hooks or hang up on the bait's lip.  JMHO 

• Like 2

MTG76OEMBN KVD MTL POINT, 2X-SHORT SHANK, 1X-STRONG TREBLE BLACK NICKEL

I've been using size 2 on 1.5 and larger....size 4 on smaller blanks from Dinger and other vendors for a few years without any complaints...

https://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=products&manid=2&catid=12&sizeid=0&view=1&offset=11

• Like 1