Brent R

restoring old rods

Would like to talk to someone that restores older rods. I have some older rods that i would like to start using them again if possible. Anyone with the experience in this field would be what i'm looking for. Not sure if it's even feasible to do this. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks for your time.

Brent

You might try YouTube for starters.  Might find a tutorial on the subject. Audio/Visual.   Very helpful..........

Restoring rods of any age is really simple ...........if you have the experience .

I don`t  say that flippantly .Just straight  forward.  

Looks like you have none so I`d say you have a long road to hoe. 

Once you gain the know how,  it`s a most rewarding  venture.

I was lucky, I had a friend get me started back in the early 60`s  and down the road I went.   Repaired many a rod over the years.  Great hobby. :)

I understand the draw of nostalgia, but what you will end up with is a new looking rod that is old school, heavy by any comparison and doesn't have the feel of todays rods and you will have more money in it than you could spend on a modern rod. But now with that said, everything you need to know is shown on the Mudhole website except where to find someone to do it for you. Half the labor cost will be the labor stripping down the old rod before you start building it back. 40-50 years ago Shakespeare made the Wonderrod which in that day was the top of the line fishing rod. I always wanted one but just never dropped the money for one. Recently I found one in a pawn shop, picked it up to look at it and it felt so awkward and heavy that I layed it back and considered that itch scratched. It just didn't measure up to my memories because of the quality of todays rods that it would be compared to. Good luck.

I live to far from you to help you. Some ideas on prices you can expect to pay though may help you decide.

Guides are usually in the $12 - 15 dollar a guide plus the price of the guide on simple wraps.

Closed butt wraps are $35 - 45 an inch.

Edited by Washougal

Brent if I cared for those rods as much as you do, I'd fix them myself, this is not rocket science, nor does it have to be expensive. I have no idea what you have, but any moral support, or assistance I can give you just ask. A small area to work, even a kitchen counter or table,  a sharp knife or better a razor blade, some thread, a few books to tension the line, and a cardboard box will get you going.

• Like 1

The rods i own are older rods, but they are not heavy and were great rods even though they were cheap rods. If i could find the same rods i would buy them again. The one i have that is a 6ft 6inch i boat flip a 7.3 lber in the boat years ago and that rod never skipped a beat. Yes it would  cost more than the rods are worth to refinish  them , so i guess the rods will go in a  memory stack with some others i have collected over the years. Thanks to everyone for your input.  Case closed.

Washougal....thanks for the encouragement but i think i will give them to my grandson to play with. If he brake's them it's not going to be a big deal and it will mean a lot to me just to see him smile.  Every time i give him something no matter what it is, it always seems to make him happy. I think i will buy him a Zebco 33 to put on it to bream fish with and he will be tickled to death. That would mean more to me than redoing the rods for myself. Thanks to all that took the time to post a reply.

• Like 1

I do this a good bit for people that understand that the cost to restore most likely will outweigh the value of the rod.  Those that choose to have them restored state that the sentimental/functional value of the rods far outweighs the cost of the restore and gladly pay.

Generally speaking

guide replacement  $6/guide plus cost of guide.

Handle replace:  $25 plus cost of materials

Blank refinish/paint/etc:  $30

Decorative wraps/weaves depends on difficulity

custom inscription/decal $5