ScottyMac

Griddle?

I'm contemplating adding a griddle to my process.  I used the microwave exclusively for some time but got tired of constantly reheating.  I recently added the small fry daddy to the mix but its not efficient once you get to a cup or less and it'll burn the plastic in a heartbeat if you are not careful.  Amazon has a bunch of different griddles from 8" and up and they are pretty cheap.  My workspace is getting smaller and smaller so I'd like to hear from the folks who use a griddle if its worth it and what my expectations should be as they relate to keeping plastic up to temp.

I use one all the time. As long as I am using less than four cups. Two of them mostly for laminates.  They will keep you from having to reheat all the time. They will not keep the plastic up to temp forever. I use four cups in my large one. Two have plastic I am using and the  others have a place for the sprues to be until I reheat then and add them back to the cups I am using to inject. This will boost the temp just enough to keep from reheating the primary cups.  One thing that makes it a little better is using cups with a flat bottom. Heat transfer is much better.  Both of mine are high sided type so if it spills it will contain the plastic.  

• Like 1

I use a pancake grill every time i inject. Mine was like $20:00 I put my injector on it to heat it up.  As my plastic is heated i set it on the grill to keep it warm. Most of the time i can shoot a cup or two cups if i am twin injecting before i reheat it. Also if u are into making lead jigs u can heat them up to power. My grill is adjustable temp so u can set it at the temp u want. Cub48

I use one also. It's the real deal that will keep you from microwave heating your plastic after each injection. I have a high sided one and I like that for the safety as I have heard of the Pyrex and anchor cups breaking with plastic in them. Haven't had it happen yet and don't think it's something that happens often but an ounce of preparation is warranted, I think.  Once you get one and use it, you won't go back. 

Yes, current Anchor and Pyrex do not use Borosilicate glass anymore so it can break under the higher temps.  I have had it happen twice, once on a plate and once in a microwave.

I really strongly suggest getting Borosilicate laboratory glass.  It is easy to get off the internet and sure a lot cheaper then lost product, and worse, a trip to the emergency room.

• Like 1

Laboratory glass is usually thinner and can break easy. They still make the cups the old way you just have to look. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVU3NF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are not cheap but if you feel better about it then it is worth it . Plus the ones o bought had a flat bottom and transfers heat better. 

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

I hope this is not a case of false advertising.  I know my research was done a few years ago, but at that time no cook ware used borosilicate.

The Laboratory glass I have seen, and use, is NOT thinner and is designed for this.  Not sure where you got your information on that one for sure.

52 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I hope this is not a case of false advertising.  I know my research was done a few years ago, but at that time no cook ware used borosilicate.

The Laboratory glass I have seen, and use, is NOT thinner and is designed for this.  Not sure where you got your information on that one for sure.

My comments are from buying it and using it not from something I read or did research on. I used one for years to dip swimbaits in cause it was taller and thinner than a normal pyrex cups. Pyrex laboratory beakers are thinner. Anyone that does not believe this buy one and see for your self. I have one that is thicker but not as thick as a Pyrex cup. This glass from the cups in the post above are made from is different in color it is more of a blue shade and plastic sticks to it a little more. In your research what is Pyrex made for? Seems to me it was made for an oven. And plenty of people use it everyday for just that without issue. 

1 hour ago, Frank said:

My comments are from buying it and using it not from something I read or did research on. I used one for years to dip swimbaits in cause it was taller and thinner than a normal pyrex cups. Pyrex laboratory beakers are thinner. Anyone that does not believe this buy one and see for your self. I have one that is thicker but not as thick as a Pyrex cup. This glass from the cups in the post above are made from is different in color it is more of a blue shade and plastic sticks to it a little more. In your research what is Pyrex made for? Seems to me it was made for an oven. And plenty of people use it everyday for just that without issue. 

Almost 9 years and not a single broken Pyrex cup. I actually have 4 of the 8 cup Pyrex cups that have been in use for the last 5 years and see 2-4 gallons cooked in each daily and no issues. Find what works for you and use it. 

Almost 9 years ago seems about right.  Pyrex changed to a cheaper material and stopped using Borosilicate.  The Pyrex sold in Europe was still Borosilicate, but it was being phased out.  Pyrex is a brand, not a type of cookware.

If it says Pyrex today, it IS NOT Borosilicate, and you can do the research to confirm it.  It is not the same Pyrex that it once was.

Can you still use the new stuff?  Sure, but sooner or later you will be on this site telling us about the broken container.  If you heat slow enough, treat it gently enough, and stick with the larger containers with thicker walls, you may get lucky longer.

I can only raise the red flag, or as the old saying goes, I can lead a horse to water, I cannot make it drink.

I am just raising safety concerns, not trying to upset people.  But, as DaveMC1 says,

1 hour ago, DaveMc1 said:

Find what works for you and use it.

• Like 1

Post up a product you use and let others see what you are talking about. For some reason that type of glass is available still and can be found at a lot of places. Not sure why you would say it is not when it is real evident it is. It is four times the price of an anchor or Pyrex cup. 

my 8 cup pyrex cups are 4.5 - 5 years old and see daily use. I use Pyrex personally only because they are readily available locally. 

In my opinion if there was a major problem with pyrex (or anchor) cups and the material they make them with then someone like Frank or myself would have seen it by now. I don't heat slow, I don't treat them gently and I use whatever size that suits the job I have on the bench............and as I said, in almost 9 years I have never once had a cup explode. 

2 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

my 8 cup pyrex cups are 4.5 - 5 years old and see daily use. I use Pyrex personally only because they are readily available locally. 

In my opinion if there was a major problem with pyrex (or anchor) cups and the material they make them with then someone like Frank or myself would have seen it by now. I don't heat slow, I don't treat them gently and I use whatever size that suits the job I have on the bench............and as I said, in almost 9 years I have never once had a cup explode. 

Agreed I do use mine pretty much everyday. And my old four cup anchor ones are still here. One even bounced off the floor and I caught it, took a big chip out of it and still working well. I did have one break but it was my fault cause I set it on a cold table. 

• Like 1