winedngrind

swimbait tail

2 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

DaleSW - what you have mentioned is correct, but the boot still creates its own vortices. The idea is to minimize the vortices created at the front end so that you achieve pure waggle.

A few years ago, I decided to combine both sets of vortices to try and create a hunting soft plastic swimbait. The idea was to have a bulbous nose to create significant vortices, these would change the direction of the lure on retrieval. The boot would create its own vortices and waggle independent of the nose vortices.

The result did not quite achieve what I wanted, but the result is interesting. You can see the evidence of both sets of vortices. It is a strange, non-standard action, but I bet it would still catch fish. I still have the master, but I lost the mold somewhere along my house movings. I didn't have any plastisol, so this was poured with agar agar and glycerine (breaks too easily).

Dave

Dave,

I bet I miss your test tank almost as much as you do.

Thanks for the videos.

Here' a link you might like:  

Edited by mark poulson

42 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

The Keitech Fat Impact swimbait is the gold standard for boot tail swimbaits, and it catches fish.  I think the boot tail has been around for a long time, in one form or another, but Keitech finally got the body and tail shape, and the plastic consistency right.   Those rings must create the right vortices to get that tail moving, because it swims at any speed, and is stable on a fast retrieve, too.

Cool I'll have to check those out, they would def be the first I've eeen that perform well at slow and fast speeds. I've always stayed away from them for that reason. Some don't even swim at all, they just flop around.

@ Vman;

So you have  two vortices moving at the same time, one being created from water going across the boot and one being created at the head. So if you have the bait at a certain lenght Dave, could these two null out the other at a certain speed?

Honestly if all is equal,  I would think that if you pull a bait through water there is an equal pressure on each side of a tail. Or to make an engine to start the movement. One side could be a tad bit narrower from center let's say. Now we are not perfect in a design, therefore movement happens because we are not. I know....this is probably hydrodynamics 101. Still to design, a person must understand. I'm thinking about a design that I'm looking at.

Dale

4 hours ago, mark poulson said:

The Keitech Fat Impact swimbait is the gold standard for boot tail swimbaits, and it catches fish.  I think the boot tail has been around for a long time, in one form or another, but Keitech finally got the body and tail shape, and the plastic consistency right.   Those rings must create the right vortices to get that tail moving, because it swims at any speed, and is stable on a fast retrieve, too.

Ok I looked at these and remember them. Not what I'd call a boot tail. To me that Kietech bait is a paddle tail and probably why it performs well. Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a boot tail is square?

4 minutes ago, BHLures said:

Ok I looked at these and remember them. Not what I'd call a boot tail. To me that Kietech bait is a paddle tail and probably why it performs well. Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a boot tail is square?

Than maybe I'm wrong.  Keitech is the first truly round tailed swimbait I've seen that works at all speeds.  I've noticed many other bait companies are now imitating them.

• Like 1

316 rising sons and rago weedless are boot tails  that are  good examples of how to make a bait kick at all speeds.  Out of 'll the boot tail style baits I have thrown a the 316's out perform most in terms of being able to slow roll a bait and get a good kick out of it. They are the baits I used as reference when trouble shooting the little swimbaits I make

I've found that the round tail lets me use a stiffer plastic than the paddle or boot tail, which needs asofter plastic to get the tails to swim side to side effectively.  Maybe it's because there is more flat tail surface in relation to bait size with the round tails, but that has been my experience.  Kinda like a wide bill on a crank bait.

Edited by mark poulson

I love the keitech style baits.  I have almost all the bass tackle ring swimbait molds now.  I agree they are a bait that can swim fast or slow, and even drop shot or jig very well.  Just the ocean or lake current while drop shotting or vertical jigging make them swim.  I have caught more fish on this style of swimbait than any other, definitely my confidence bait!

I played around with square tail and boot tail swimbaits in the past and did well with them, but struggled with getting great action under a variety of conditions.  The big hammer style swims well under a retrieve style fishing, but did not drop shot or jig as well, although it caught fish.  Just not as much action as the ring swimbaits style.  Rock fish are not as particular, but I find the extra action really appeals to bass and pan fish.

• Like 1

Mark - yes, I miss my test tank immensely.

Dale - I worked on the suggestion that you are making many years ago, about vortices canceling or doubling. It does not work like that, in fact in my post, I am likely over simplifying. Vortices will adjust automatically to fit in with each other and form a system. Example: if you swim two lipped lures side-by-side, they will 'kick-in' at different points, they may naturally have slightly different cycle lengths, but they will swim in perfect unison. They form a system of balance; one swimming slightly faster than its natural period, the other slightly slower (my guess, not proven).

DAve

• Like 1