Sudd

Airbrush issue

My brush is blowing plain air no paint, thinner, nothing. I sprayed a lifetime white no problems, sprayed good. Cleaned with thinner, then went to a createx flo orange it sprayed good for awhile then it eventually quit spraying. I tried to spray thinner back through it and nothing just air. It seems to do that with me when using the water based paint, and ive got it thinned down with water. I have a badger I believe its a 200 series brush with the adjustment on the back. What is going on with this thing?

2 minutes ago, stretcher66 said:

i am not familiar with the badger 200 series, is it a siphon feed or a gravity feed gun? and you say its just blowing air...   is it bubbling back into the paint reservoir?

Its a siphon feed. Im not sure if its bubbling or not

1 minute ago, stretcher66 said:

when you put your finger over the nozzle to backflush it, does it bubble in the paint cup?

I have not tried that so I do not know. The brush is pretty old my uncles used it to paint crankbaits when they had business, now I have bait business and using one of their brushes. I've been thinking about using the 40% coupon at hobby lobby and buying the neo gravity, and getting it for $48 +tax

8 minutes ago, stretcher66 said:

i bet if you fill the cup with water or cleaner and hold your finger over the nozzle  then pull the trigger.  it will backflush whatever is blocking the paint and probably work fine

I use Jars since its a siphon feed. So I could use my thinner bottle attach it how finger over nozzle and hold down trigger correct? Also with it doing this, does this mean I need to thin my water based created some more? All my life to be lacquer paint never clogs it up or whatever its doing, it always happens with the createx.

1 minute ago, stretcher66 said:

also check the air hole on the top where the jar screws on at. make sure its not clogged or it will create a vacuum in the paint jar and wont pull paint out.  but yes try backflushing it first and see if you get bubbling into you jar.  

Yeah I did run a wire down through the air holes, so they are clear

I think the residue thinners you originally cleaned it with is turning the ''Createx'' (water base) to a gloopy plastic which then blocks the ''tip''.

Always--After cleaning with thinners, flush with acetone or alcohol and then water before adding any water based paint. Thinners and water based are not compatible.

Solution would be to clean with acetone like everyone is saying (backflush etc) and then a quick flush with alcohol, then another quick flush with some water---I cross over paints all the time and this is what I have to do, its a pain but sometimes incompatible paints give some good effects.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazmail said:

I think the residue thinners you originally cleaned it with is turning the ''Createx'' (water base) to a gloopy plastic which then blocks the ''tip''.

Always--After cleaning with thinners, flush with acetone or alcohol and then water before adding any water based paint. Thinners and water based are not compatible.

Solution would be to clean with acetone like everyone is saying (backflush etc) and then a quick flush with alcohol, then another quick flush with some water---I cross over paints all the time and this is what I have to do, its a pain but sometimes incompatible paints give some good effects.

Pete

I think what I'm going to do is just get another brush, and use one just for water base and the other for my lacquers

The Badger 200 is a very good single action air brush. Take the tip off and see if you can see light through it when you hold it to the light. Some times the tube from the bottle to the AB stops up. The difference between the 200 and the 200nh is the tip. Seems the 200 tip is more prone to clogging. My money is on it needing a good cleaning. Wish I could buy a new air brush when ever they clog up. Good luck.

If you blow the lacquer thinner out good, you should be able to go straight into water based paint. Blowing the AB out after either lacquer or water based paint should leave the AB dry inside. Let me know when those Suddeth lures go on sale. I remember them well. Good luck

38 minutes ago, Musky Glenn said:

If you blow the lacquer thinner out good, you should be able to go straight into water based paint. Blowing the AB out after either lacquer or water based paint should leave the AB dry inside. Let me know when those Suddeth lures go on sale. I remember them well. Good luck

I will definitely let you know but I'm starting with 4 colors and should have them on my store site next week! They are 100% handmade just like my uncles were but with a different lip but still great action. I make them to order so ship time could be up to 5 days.

suddethkustombaitz.com

PS. The brush that keeps messing up is one of the ones my uncles used to paint the plugs. And that was back in early 80s thats how old that brush is.

Edited by Sudd

I just saw where Dakotalakestackle is going out of business. He has a lot for sale that includes a whole bunch of airbrush stuff for $360 money order or cashiers check.  80 bottles of paint, two Iwata brushes,  a Dremel tool and acc. and some stencils. Pretty good deal for someone. Bunch of lure blanks as well. 

Edited by AZ Fisher

I took my badger apart and have the parts soaking in some acetone to give it a good cleaning. But in meantime I did take advantage of the 40% off at HL and bought me a Neo. I must say that gun is pretty awesome, I'm loving the gravity feed, it is so much easier to clean and switch between the two different types of paints and colors as well. I guess if my badger gets back working it doesn't hurt to have 2 brushes. Thanks for all the replies!