StriperCandy

New Powder Coating Technique?

I use an old kitchen knife I found for cutting bait. It's stainless, but the salt water keeps rusting it. I decided to powder coat it, and it turned out pretty good. While I was at it, I took a rusted spoon I had found in the water, cleaned it up and powder coated it white. I wanted a red stripe, but wasn't sure how to make a nice clean one. What I ended up doing was brushing some powder coat onto the glue side of a piece of scotch tape.  After baking the white background to set it, I heated the spoon a little more over a heat gun, then laid the tape glue side down on the spoon. It melted right onto the spoon! Nice way to get a clean pattern onto a base coat. 

• Like 3

After you apply your tape decal/design. I bet you could dip it in clear PP and bake it successfully.

I have done this with 3D eyes and been successful.

Tip: To heat for clear PP,  just heat near but not on decal .Heat just enough for the PP to stick then flow it out with additional heat.

On 7/19/2017 at 7:38 PM, StriperCandy said:

That might work if I use packing tape. The cellophane tape is too easy to melt. I also think I'm going to get glow powder. Maybe I can dust glow powder on the tape and make a glow decal. 

Mylar PET Film Tapes are used in the powder coating industry and are available in clear or transparent.

Source: ebay and alibaba.com

On 7/22/2017 at 8:42 PM, StriperCandy said:

Interesting idea. Weird to think of mylar as heat resistant, but that's what they claim. I could use the clear like the scotch tape, or just use it to mask off areas. Thanks for the tip fshng.

NP.

Another tip: When I was on the alibaba.com site some vendors will send free samples. Depending on shipping costs it might help with R&D costs.

Edited by fshng2