Tubeman

Degassed Plastisol - Bait Junkies

I wanted to give a shout out to Leonard at http://www.shopbaitjunkys.com . After talking with Leonard about the de-gassing process, I decided to buy a vac pot and pump. I use Lure Works plastic for most of our bass baits and while its a very clear plastic, it traps air every time it is agitated in its un cooked form. This website is where we learned all about hand pouring over 10 years ago and it awesome how guys on this website ( like Leonard ) still are willing to help out others.  I was amazed at how much air was drawn out of the plastisol and the result were clear.....very clear plastic that is ! not a bubble in it after de gassing. So if you dont have the time or money to buy a vacuum set up, Leonard takes the time to degass all the plastisol they sell...believe me it will make a huge difference :)

20170722_121714_036[1].jpg

20170722_124816[1].jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

LOL, looks like my new vacuum pot.

It does help to make more durable silicone molds, clearer bubble free plastisol, etc. 

I am still not sold on it being required, or even economical, but the results are awesome.

Reason spike it, and myself offer it 2 ways. But in the end, the end user is always the best one to do it, right before use. Best 250.00 anyone in the bait business could ever spend IMO..

5 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Reason spike it, and myself offer it 2 ways. But in the end, the end user is always the best one to do it, right before use. Best 250.00 anyone in the bait business could ever spend IMO..

Where does one get one of these?

I am not in the business, yet(?), but do make baits.

I have purchased the degassed plastic from you. 

A couple of gallons have not been opened and a little over a year old.

Any problems?  

Guessing the gasses come from the manufacturing process and once cleaned up, stays clean.

1 hour ago, SRJ said:

I have purchased the degassed plastic from you. 

A couple of gallons have not been opened and a little over a year old.

Any problems?  

Guessing the gasses come from the manufacturing process and once cleaned up, stays clean.

Will be fine but most likely be bubbley. Air is introduced a lot of ways. Hell sometimes i think it makes its own. Lol

1 hour ago, Baitjunkys said:

I always recomend 5 gallon pot, and 6 cfm pump. There is other options.

Mine was about $150 but it is only 3 gallon pot size and 5 cfm, rotary vane, dual stage. 

Figure that you need the volume to allow the material to expand 3 to 5 times the original volume.  A dual stage pump will draw a more complete vacuum, and while smaller pot sizes require smaller cfm pumps, I totally agree with at least 6 cfm for a 5 gallon pot.

I got mine off Amazon but it is a bestvaluevacs product.  I also found some awesome deals on EBay.

Well, at least that is what I learned after contacting Silicone and resin manufactures.  :D

3 hours ago, SRJ said:

"Best 250.00 anyone in the bait business could ever spend IMO.. "

Is the cost of the compressor about 50%?.

I ask because from the recommended company site prices seem to be around $125. 

Cost of the vacumn pump can be all over the board. Just buy one that will draw down to 29.4 or more vacumn. This is what it takes to get the air out of the plastic. Some will do it faster with higher cfm or two stages but they all slow down when it get down to that low of vacumn. You can buy the 10" lid and get the pot your self for a Resturant supply store then but the pump.  You can get a 2-3or 4 gallon pot with the same 10" size. With the 5 gallon pots you will need a 12" lid. 

Just looked on eBay and there's a ton of these unit of all sizes at a much lower price than before. Get a 4-5 gallon one for under 150. That makes getting one of these a no brainer. Even if you buy the higher priced plastic it will be worth it to make sure there's is no bubbles. 

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

I get what you are saying about the pumps but unless you buy an American made one they are all pretty much the same. The last American pump we bought at work was 700, much more than what we are talking here. My pump I bought from eBay and payed about 70 and it is still going after about 4 years.  Not sure if I could ask for more from an imported pump. I am pretty sure it has payed for itself many times over. 

6 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

Well a 2 gallon pot realisticly  will degass about 1 qt.

Does this mean you would need a 5 gal to do 1 gal of plastic?

Looks like you just answered question.

Thanks a bunch Leonard!

Edited by SRJ

One of the keys to long life with vacuum pumps is service.  They get badly contaminated after they get used a lot, and almost nobody ever services them.  I've seen more than one refrigeration tech bring one in with it all frozen up, and you can tell it bounces around his truck from site to site and never gets service.  When I serviced the refrigeration equipment for our grocery store as a kid growing up my dad service our pump after everytime he used it, and then he would snap it into a plastic bucket to keep the dust off.  He still has it and it still works 40 years later.  He also did refrigeration work for a lot of the farms around the area.  (I just worked on our stuff.)

A cheap method of pulling a low vacuum is with a venturri pump, and contamination is not an issue, but I've yet to use one that could pull 29+ inches.  When I say cheap.  I mean for the pump.  Not the cost of use.  The use a lot of air.  I've seen a few advertised that make some pretty bold claims, but I'd be glad to see one that meets its claim. 

IMG_0036.thumb.JPG.b2e0130e90f064931c7c3849fd437183.JPGVenturi pumps will only get to about 26 inches of vacumn. Not near enough to get air out of the plastic. As for the large pots I use a four gallon one with at least two gallons in it but have a secondary container that catches anything before it get to the pump. That is where I release the vacumn when it is done so I don't have to keep bending over. I can also add more plastic to the pot by using the relief valve on the big pot to suck up more and keep going till the pot has about 3.5 gallons of usable plastic in it. There are plenty of way to get this done just have to be creative. 

12 hours ago, Frank said:

Venturi pumps will only get to about 26 inches of vacumn.

I've actually seen a vacuum venturi get down to right at 28 inches, but it wasn't the cheap one you find at Harbor Freight.   I admit I was surprised.  I've built a couple and bought one when playing with some other ideas.  None of mine pulled that much, but then I didn't leave them on a sealed chamber for an extended period either.  I never degassed plastisol, but I think we had an argument discussion about this once before.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

you got to have a damn good gauge to get actual numbers for readings as well. I got several pots on the same pump, and every gauge will be reading a different number.

And no, you can not degas a gallon jug full inside a 5 gallon pot, it will suck the material right out of the gallon, find you a bucket that will fit inside. you really need 4x for expansion.

Franks setup is ideal with a resin trap, but adds cost to the bottom line of the system. 

I fitted all of my pots with a valve on the bottom, so I can go right back into the container with a pre measured amount.

It is easiest for us to degas pre packaged amounts, then to degas prior to packaging. We only degas prior to shipment.