Tubeman

Degassed Plastisol - Bait Junkies

Gages are like any other measuring tool.  You get what you pay for. 

I've really run into that with air gunning were pressures are at the opposite extreme.  Blows me away when I see a gun you paid a stupid amount of money for with a no-rating gage that's off by 600 PSI (or more).  Never trust the gage on the gun except as a percentage of full, and maybe not even then.  I count shots myself. 

Well in this case you will need a pump that will make the plastic let go of the air and look like the picture in the first post. This will not happen till it gets to 29.4 inches of vacumn. What ever your guage says does not matter cause it won't happen till then. 

Edited by Frank

15 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well in this case you will need a pump that will make the plastic let go of the air and look like the picture in the first post. This will not happen till it gets to 29.4 inches of vacumn. What ever your guage says does not matter cause it won't happen till then. 

a little jiggle off the pot will help it let go earlier.  but not much earlier. lol

On July 24, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Cub48 said:

if u have a 5 gallon pot can u set a gallon jug inside and degass it or will the jug  suck together ? I have a vacumn pump  for automotive a/c  all i need is a pot. cub48

Sorry no one addressed your post. Yes you can but the gallon container will need to be 1/4 full so it does not over fill. Best bet is to get a smaller pot say 3gallons and just put it straight in there. Having a five gallon pot setting around all the time takes a lot of room. I shoot a lot of plastic and a 4 gallon is just fine. Most of the guys here could get away with a much smaller pot if you work it out and think about it. You don't have to get all your plastic done at one time just what you need at the time. So if you use four cups and microwave it then you can vacumn more when it is in the microwave as that will take much more time than vacumning.  I vacumn everytime as I need. Having it set around vacumned does not do any good if you have to mix it up again and maybe introduce more air. It won't be as bad as the first time but it's there. Maybe it's cause I use a drill with a paint mixer on the end. And yes if you have a pump for doing a/c on a car it should work as long as it is in good working order. If it does not grow like the first picture you will need to rethink your pump. 

On 7/24/2017 at 10:17 AM, Baitjunkys said:

you got to have a damn good gauge to get actual numbers for readings as well. I got several pots on the same pump, and every gauge will be reading a different number.

And no, you can not degas a gallon jug full inside a 5 gallon pot, it will suck the material right out of the gallon, find you a bucket that will fit inside. you really need 4x for expansion.

Franks setup is ideal with a resin trap, but adds cost to the bottom line of the system. 

I fitted all of my pots with a valve on the bottom, so I can go right back into the container with a pre measured amount.

It is easiest for us to degas pre packaged amounts, then to degas prior to packaging. We only degas prior to shipment. 

Sorry Cub 48, I did not point my response directly to you. 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Baitjunkys said:

Well a 2 gallon pot realisticly  will degass about 1 qt.

So here we are

I have only heated, in microwave 1 quart increments and it only takes a minute or so to de-gass 1 qt. I can have 2 qt. pots, the most I have ever done in less than 5 minutes ready to pour.

It seems as if a 2 gallon pot would work for me.

What do you think?

43 minutes ago, SRJ said:

So here we are

I have only heated, in microwave 1 quart increments and it only takes a minute or so to de-gass 1 qt. I can have 2 qt. pots, the most I have ever done in less than 5 minutes ready to pour.

What do you think?

You certainly can use a 2 gallon. You just have to figure out what qty works for you in it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SRJ said:

So here we are

What do you think?

The two gallon will be fine for you. Once you vacumn it and it settles you can add more and do it all again till you have enough. If I had a two gallon pot I could get about 1.5 gallons ready a quart at a time this way in the same pot. 

• Like 1

Well just found another use for the vac pot, salt when premixed with plastisol. Although it takes longer, probably 10 min and a few gas releases. This has definitely made our stick baits that have a smoke or clear finish a lot less cloudy looking and there is very little gas release once its been cooked and in the hot pot.

• Like 1

Plastisol that sits after shipment attracts condensation and moisture- unless of course you store it in a climate controlled room I believe Frank stated a while back that for best results,you de-gas only the amount you intend to use that day. Never had a problem w/ any plastisol that was heated and constantly stirred in hand injection system. A micro-wave causes the problems when there is moisture  and air from shipment in the plastisol.