Fish_N_Fool

Has anybody ever got any unpainted blanks from avidbasstackle.com

I'm looking at buying some unpainted blanks from these guys "avidbasstackle.com" , but I have never heard of them before.  Is it cheap chit from china or usable blanks? They have no contact info on the website which makes me very suspicious.

Edited by Fish_N_Fool

Very good and unique blanks. Terrible if not  impossible to contact him. I have a pending Paypal dispute going on now for preorder Whopper Plopper blanks from March.

That being said he does have them now and shipped rather quickly. I was shorted some eyes and still cant get in touch .

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

I have placed a few orders from Avid in the past.  I was actually pretty impressed with the service and the quality of the lures.  That is until earlier  this year when they decided to open up pre-orders for a their Whopper Plopper KOs.  Ever since then, the service has gone a little downhill IMHO.

I just so happen to be one of the "lucky" customers that pre-ordered the Whopper Plopper blanks at the beginning of March.  He did state on the website that there wasn't a definite ETA on them, but that they should arrive in April.  I figured a month wasn't all that long to wait for some Whopper Plopper blanks.

While I waited for my Wopper Ploppers to arrive, I decided to place another order for some of the Megabass Giant Dog X KOs on his site but I was sent the smaller model.  These things were tiny and you would probably have to throw them on spinning gear.  They were not at all what I wanted or ordered.  When I contacted him about the issue, he said that I should not have even able to order the Giant Dog Xs from his website because he doesn't have them in stock.  Although on the invoice it clearly stated that I ordered the "Giant" model.  He gave me an option for a refund or to wait until he had them in stock and he would send them to me.  I chose to wait for the lures that I had originally ordered,  but I have yet to hear anything back from him.  

April, May and June came and went, but I still didn't have my Whopper Plopper Blanks.   During this time he did try to keep his customers somewhat updated on the status of the Whopper Ploppers via his FB page, but the updates were few and far between.  I think there were two or three updates in that 3-4 month span.  He has since apologized for the long delay and his lack of communication via his FB page.

Fast forward to now, July 27.  The Whopper Plopper KOs that I ordered way back at the beginning of March and were supposed to ship at the beginning of April, finally arrived on Friday July 21.  Opening the package confirmed that these were very nice blanks.  The only problem that I have with them is that these Plopper KOs require special eyes, so they were included in he package, but all of the eyes that I received were "left" eyes.  Due to there very specific shape, you have to have a right eye and a left eye.  The left eyes will not fit in the right eye socket on the lure.   Aside from that, the Plopper KOs are of very good quality and they run perfectly.  Well worth the money.

Like I said before, his blanks are pretty good quality and some are quite unique.  Unfortunately, I am still a little bit hesitant to place another order with them at this point because I still haven't gotten any info regarding the Giant Gog X blanks that I have yet to receive.

I think he just bit off a little more than he could chew with allowing pre-orders for a product that he didn't have a solid delivery date on.  I think he has been playing catch up ever since.  

Hopefully Avid will get all of these kinks worked out and their communication, turnaround time and order processing will improve.

2 hours ago, Grisley said:

Hopefully Avid will get all of these kinks worked out and their communication, turnaround time and order processing will improve.

agree that just a little communication would go a long way!  a quick reply to say "i've received your message and am a little behind, but i'll get right back to you" would do a lot to let folks know they're at least being attended to!

11 hours ago, Grisley said:

I have placed a few orders from Avid in the past.  I was actually pretty impressed with the service and the quality of the lures.  That is until earlier  this year when they decided to open up pre-orders for a their Whopper Plopper KOs.  Ever since then, the service has gone a little downhill IMHO.

I just so happen to be one of the "lucky" customers that pre-ordered the Whopper Plopper blanks at the beginning of March.  He did state on the website that there wasn't a definite ETA on them, but that they should arrive in April.  I figured a month wasn't all that long to wait for some Whopper Plopper blanks.

While I waited for my Wopper Ploppers to arrive, I decided to place another order for some of the Megabass Giant Dog X KOs on his site but I was sent the smaller model.  These things were tiny and you would probably have to throw them on spinning gear.  They were not at all what I wanted or ordered.  When I contacted him about the issue, he said that I should not have even able to order the Giant Dog Xs from his website because he doesn't have them in stock.  Although on the invoice it clearly stated that I ordered the "Giant" model.  He gave me an option for a refund or to wait until he had them in stock and he would send them to me.  I chose to wait for the lures that I had originally ordered,  but I have yet to hear anything back from him.  

April, May and June came and went, but I still didn't have my Whopper Plopper Blanks.   During this time he did try to keep his customers somewhat updated on the status of the Whopper Ploppers via his FB page, but the updates were few and far between.  I think there were two or three updates in that 3-4 month span.  He has since apologized for the long delay and his lack of communication via his FB page.

Fast forward to now, July 27.  The Whopper Plopper KOs that I ordered way back at the beginning of March and were supposed to ship at the beginning of April, finally arrived on Friday July 21.  Opening the package confirmed that these were very nice blanks.  The only problem that I have with them is that these Plopper KOs require special eyes, so they were included in he package, but all of the eyes that I received were "left" eyes.  Due to there very specific shape, you have to have a right eye and a left eye.  The left eyes will not fit in the right eye socket on the lure.   Aside from that, the Plopper KOs are of very good quality and they run perfectly.  Well worth the money.

Like I said before, his blanks are pretty good quality and some are quite unique.  Unfortunately, I am still a little bit hesitant to place another order with them at this point because I still haven't gotten any info regarding the Giant Gog X blanks that I have yet to receive.

I think he just bit off a little more than he could chew with allowing pre-orders for a product that he didn't have a solid delivery date on.  I think he has been playing catch up ever since.  

Have you tried cutting some other eyes to shape with nail clippers?

• Like 1

Mark, 

I would have attempted cutting some eyes that I already had to fit, but unfortunately I didn't have any eyes large enough to fill the width of the socket.  These eyes are a very peculiar shape.  It's not really a big deal though.  They are so narrow that I just painted the eye sockets and filled them with epoxy.  If I were selling these baits it would be a bigger deal.  These are just for my own personal use, so most of them will probably just end up being fed to alligators or trees.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

IMG_4924.PNG

IMG_4925.PNG

• Like 1

My Preorder Ploppers from March were a no show and I had to open a dispute with Paypal.

I did order a couple weeks ago and got them in a few days. 3 pairs of eyes short!!! I also ordered round 5.8 mm eyes and as said half were off the card and loose in the bag.

I placed an order on Jul 27 and received it in full on Jul 31.  I did only order items listed as in stock on the website.

The quality seems pretty good. It each bait appears to have had individual attention, super glue on hangers, etc, in lieu of mass produced items I've received from China which need to be closely examined before painting. 

MonteSS

That's what I ended up doing also.  I just filled the eye slots and used 6mm round eyes.

By the way....What type of technique did you use on that bass Plopper?  Did you use a water slide decal?  Whatever you used, it looks amazing.  Please share your technique, if you are able.

I lightly wipe the ABS  portion with acetone.  After that, I just use Flat White Krylon Fusion as a base coat/primer on the body and the tail.  I allow it to cure for the full 24 hrs.  After the 24 hrs, it is very well bonded to the ABS and the soft tail.  I can't even scrape it off with my finger nail when I try.  I then paint as normal and I use D2T as a clear coat on the body and a few light coats of Rustoleum Automotive enamel on the tail.  The auto enamel flexes pretty well with the tail.