CNC Molds N Stuff

Soft Bait Glue - PVC Cement

I bought some soft plastic eyes and soft bait glue from Spike-It to play with.  A lot of times I buy things like this just to check them out.  In this case I really wanted to try it out to see if it was a cure to dipping hard eyes.  I have a couple soft baits I make for myself that really pop with eyes on them, but I hated ruining the lines of the bait with a dipped layer of plastisol.  I'm sure this has all been tested and either tried and true or dismissed for many, but this thread is about my experiences with it. 

When I was ordering I noticed that the large can says PVC cement and the smaller dispenser bottle says bait glue or something like that.  I immediately wondered if PVC pipe cement would work.  I'll try that eventually, but I wanted to keep this initial trial pure to the product.  I do have some pipe cement around.  I've glued a few miles of conduit and pipe over the years.  (probably a few hundred miles) 

Working with the eyes was just as fiddly as working with the regular 3D hard(ish) eyes I have been using.  I'm thinking I'll want to get a wide blade pair of tweezers for them eventually.  My big fingers find it tricky to hold them by the face leaving the back clear to apply cement.  The instructions say to coat both surfaces with cement and stick them together... just like PVC pipe cement.  I got a bait ready (just one for now), opened the little dispenser bottle, and noticed it smells just like pipe cement.  I'm definitely going to try some.  I did notice that the bottle from Spike-It had a nice fine dispenser brush and that the cement seemed to be thick, but not at all stringy or gloppy.  It might have a different or more reducer or thinning agent of some kind as opposed to the cans of pipe cement from the hardware store.  Then again a fresh can of pipe cement isn't to bad either. 

I stuck the eyes on the bait and left the shop.  I believe it said to leave it for 30 minutes or something like that on the instructions.  It was late, and it was one of the last things I did last night before heading into the house.  Well, I shut down the air dryer, closed the air distribution valve, and turned off all the lights.

Today or tomorrow I'm going to see how well stuck those eyes seem to be.  If it fuses as well as water pipe or electrical conduit does my hard eyes will only ever get used again for hard baits.  Unfortunately I've got household chores to get done today too. 

I tried the clear PVC pipe cement I had leftover from some pipe work... in my experience... it "works".... but seemed like it melted the bait more - and didn't evaporate as fast... meaning you had to hold the bait in place for much longer than some of these other cements like Mend it.  Because of that I never bothered using it again.

For attaching eyes and skirts - (like making a hula grub) - I cut a 1" piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum.... drilled a hole thru it perpendicular to length and wedged it onto the tip of my cheapo soldering iron.... heat it up - hit the eye / skirt on one side and the body of the bait on the other - then stick them together... fast and effective... but watch your fingers with the eyes!!

J.

Just my 2 cents but I do know a little about pvc pipe glue . (Master plumber) I’ve tried  glue with limited success . They still get knocked off . Pvc glue is a little flexible but a little to hard for soft baits . With all that said if you can find shower pan liner glue which is pvc glue just WAY more flexible than regular pvc glue wether it be heavy body or less. The only problem I see with liner glue is it’s a greenish color.

• Like 1