MT204

Worth swivels and split rings

After lots of reading I've notice that some spinnerbaits are not using a split ring at the point where the swivel attaches. 

I realize that this may depend on wire and swivel size.

The current baits I just made (and caught fish with ) were 3/8 oz, .035 wire and Worth swivel attached without split ring.

What are the pros and cons of attaching swives withou split rings, and are "thin" rings better or just different?

Thanks.

Edited by MT204

I really couldn't find any benefits to attaching the swivel that way but I did experience some problems. The problems aren't deal breakers, there are only two issues that I have, the first is going through brush.  When the blade hits a limb, heavier grass or some other debris with the swivel attached by a split ring it will deflect and keep spinning, it will have some hesitation but it is very brief. The same thing happens with the swivel attached directly to the wire, but the blade stops spinning for a longer period of time as it takes a little more time to right itself, it isn't critical but I don't like that. The other issue I have is when killing the bait to let it free fall, with the swivel on a split ring the blade will wobble and flail around while spinning in a slow wide arc depending on the weight of the head. With the swivel directly on the wire the amount of movement is decreased and you don't get the same "helicopter" affect. Now that last one doesn't apply to a hidden weight type spinnerbait. those don't fall right to produce that type of action so those are horizontal presentation only so if using that type of bait the swivel attached directly to the wire doesn't have any bearing on the performance. Remember, these are just issues I have when I messed with attaching the swivel directly to the wire thinking I can save a little extra by only having to by 1000 split rings instead of 2000.  The one thing I like about the light rings Worth makes for their swivels is putting them on. I buy my swivels direct from Worth, 1000 swivels with no rings attached and then I buy 2000 split rings and I put them on the swivel myself. With the rings being light it makes it a breeze to attach them to the swivel and since there isn't much force pulling on the rings it makes sense to use a light ring but I don't think they aid or deter from any performance.

• Like 1