Painter1

Vice Recommenation

I am setting up a new work station to tie hair jigs that will range from "float-n-fly" to "Preacher" styles and would welcome your thoughts for a vice that holds a jig tightly in place.   I hate it when the jig moves while I'm torqueing down to get a good flair.   I sometimes use some stout thread, but the thread needs to be the weakest link, not the vice. 

I look forward to, and thank you, for your thoughts. 

Depends on how much you want to spend.  I've made due with an old Thompson cam-lock vise for years.  I got a rotating vise recently and love it for hair jigs but wish it have a locking arm instead of a screw knob to lock the jaws.  It will hold but sometimes its hard to unscrew the knob to get the jig out. 

Fishingskirts.com has a rotating vise with a arm to lock the vise jaws for $40. 

I use a Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise, it is under $100 and has a lifetime warranty. It is a full rotary vise which makes tying easy but it does use a thumbscrew to tighten the jaws. The thing about the jaws is that you can buy cam locking jaws for it which will run you $50 but, if you spend an extra $30 you can get the same vise only it has the cam locking jaws on it. Cam locking jaws use a lever to tighten the jaws, I find the thumb screw to be fine and you can always get the cam lock jaws if you don't like the thumb screw. One of the main reasons I purchased it is because it can hold anything from a size #28 hook up to a 4/0 but I've tied preacher jigs with 5/0 hooks and flipping jigs with heavy wire 6/0 hooks and it held. I was going to get an expensive vise but most required that you buy extra jaws for saltwater sized flies and just the jaws were almost $100 not to mention the $300+ for the vise and they didn't sell any models with the saltwater jaws already on.  You can also get the Wolff Indiana Apex which holds hooks to 6/0 and is just a bit over $100 or the Wolff Indiana Atlas which is a little nicer at $155 but holds up to 7/0. I've been using my Griffin for awhile now and I can vouch for how good it is but if I was tying large flipping style jigs more than smaller hair jigs then I'd probably go with the Atlas just because I'd worry about wearing the jaws out on the Griffin.

What is the max size hook you will be using? This makes a difference. There is a difference between a rotating vise, and a rotary vise.  Rotary keeps the hook level as you spin it around, where a rotating vise will not keep it level. (Do not mean to treat you dumb, just don't know what you know). 

I am a fan of the anvil Apex rotating vise. Found really good prices on them on Amazon. The jaws have 2 different grooves in them for small and large hooks. They have the plain rotating, and a true rotary. I have tied 1000's of hooks and jigs with it. I also have another vise that is a true rotary, and for me it was money I didn't need to spend. I just don't need a true rotary. 

If you have a Bass Pro shop near you, sit down at one of their desk and size them up. google to see if there is a fly tying group in your area. Maybe they will let you in to look/test different vises.

Good luck

• Like 1