SMBLifter

Swing Football Jigs

Every swing football style head manufactured comes with an EWG style hook on it (with the exception being VMC's swingin rugby jig) That's what got me thinking about why not a straight shank hook or a offset worm hook??  Any pros or cons to a straight shank  or offset worm on the back of a swinging football jig? Up in the north country we don't get big the 10 lber bucket mouths and I find that a lot of 3/0 and up EWG's are pretty hard to stuff in a smallies mouth. 

Pretty much that is what I did, for some of the people that requested different hooks. Nothing says you can't put in any hook that fits in the mold, and if you want you can even modify the mold to fit other hooks. BTW welcome to Tackle Underground.

I think the reason you see the EWG style hooks is because most run creature style baits like Beavers or some sort or larger craw. Being in PA where a 5lb fish is big I use EWG style hooks but I tend to use smaller 2/0 and 3/0 because I like using the Beaver style baits as well as the Biffle Bug. The difference for me is I like using both the regular size and the smaller sizes but straight shaked hooks for me are heavy style flipping hooks and my regular worm hooks are for worms that I don't run on a swing jig so I have no use for them. I prefer the EWG style but I just downsize from the standard 4/0 and 5/0 that mass produced models use to 2/0 and 3/0 sizes that work better for the size baits I'm using and the size fish I normally catch.

• Like 2