Nannyhammer

Swivels on Sea Horse Mold

All,   I've skimmed back through over 50 pages but still don't see what I'm needing.  I poured a mix H style jigs and sea horse lures but the swivels gave me fits once I cured the powder coating.  Does anyone have pictures of using the foil to protect the swivels during powder coat?    Also some mentioned using "S" hooks instead of swivels. Pictures of those and a source would be helpful as well. 

Also the hooks discolored during curing of the powder coat.  Is this normal or did my toaster oven I used for curing malfunction.

Appreciate any and all responses.

NOTE: I've cast bullets and sinkers for about 16 years but new to the lure/jig casting.

Started the s hook thing several years back . What I heard then was , Oh that will put the blade to far back when you add the swivel .  It will scare the fish or cause a short strike .Glad to know somebody with sense is using the Idea . I would suggest getting them from Do-IT unless you can find them at Lure Parts Online . If its the 3/4 , 1 , 1 1/2 oz heads you will need the Size about 5/8 inch long .( could not find a bag with a part no.) You can also use the sinker wire eye 2317 they don't sit very deep and you have to fiddle with both to get them just right . Also If you want to mod your mold just a bit it's possible to use the HS-34 wire for hammered spoons Cut those in half and bend to fit on the shank . The modification would be where you swivel cavity is . It would need to be widened enough to allow for a loop end to lay in the portion next to the head . Guess I better shut up you probably have a headache now .

Edited by toadfrog
Left out a sentence.

I have poured many of the bigger horse head jigs with the tin coated hooks. Yes they will discolor (turning a light brown) if the oven is too hot.  As far as the swivel and and the aluminum foil goes, take a 1" x 1" piece of aluminum foil, cut a small slit halfway into the aluminum foil. Take the slit piece and put it over the swivel at the head. Next bend the foil down over the swivel to cover it. That's it

Thanks for the responses guys.  Will get thermometer to verify temp again. Used this oven for a bullet coating experiment but the controls were fairly close then.  Do you leave the aluminum foil on after heat treating in the oven?  I pulled mine off after coating in the fluid bed since I didn't think the powder coat would migrate during curing.  Obviously that assumption was incorrect.  The more I look at it I think the "S" hook may be the easiest solution but of course no one carries any tackle building stuff nearby.

18 minutes ago, Nannyhammer said:

Thanks for the responses guys.  Will get thermometer to verify temp again. Used this oven for a bullet coating experiment but the controls were fairly close then.  Do you leave the aluminum foil on after heat treating in the oven?  I pulled mine off after coating in the fluid bed since I didn't think the powder coat would migrate during curing.  Obviously that assumption was incorrect.  The more I look at it I think the "S" hook may be the easiest solution but of course no one carries any tackle building stuff nearby.

Once you put the foil on and you have the swivel covered, you heat the jig and either swish it through the fluid bed or dip it in a jar. Then I put the jigs on a rack and let them cool as I finish the rest. Once done, take all the foil off and then put them in the oven. The paint will not migrate to the swivel. However if you put on too much paint on the jig, then yes, it will drip down into the swivel. Less paint is more. It's better to swish it through twice with less paint in a fluid bed, than to put on one heavy coat.

All, Just to give an update.  You were correct on the oven being too hot so I got it dialed in with an oven thermometer.  I tried the aluminum foil on the swivels but it was a pain and kept tearing.  Saw on another forum that a  guy used teflon pipe thread tape.  Works like  a champ and was easier to me that using foil.  Poured and coated 86 with zero swivels clogged by paint during powder coating.  I also built a small rack that will hold 24 at a time for curing the paint.  I use a wire to hang them from the swivel.  Not pro quality but plenty good enough for my purposes.

• Like 1