TrophyFishR

Whopper plopper sprinker frog hybrid

I took a few baits out of my old boxes & stole parts off other lures to make a whopper plopper type action on existing topwaters. I tried to use the highest quality swivels, but I think its too much chain. The boot tails are from little yum money minnows. Im one step closer to becoming a full time lure addict. Lol

IMG_9339.JPG

IMG_9340.JPG

Edited by TrophyFishR
  • Like 2

After watching the Larry Dahlberg videos on youtube, it got me to start tinkering with my tackle. I want to build a finesse whopper plopper for smallmouth. Shrink the WP90 down 50% in size, a WP45 if you will. Something that I can throw on my shaky head rod with 8lb test & spinning gear. River fishing really limits me to 1 rod soemtimes, so I've gotta need for the finesse version. I will keep you posted as I get ready to start ordering supplies & tinkering with molds for the very first time. I realize how deep this rabbit hole can be, Ive got 4 airbrushes & 60 bottles of createx already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonteSS said:

Dont laugh but I bet the old Helicopter lures would be a good trailer 

I remember those.... soft baits with 3 blades and a tapered cylinder on top.

You're right a helicopter would work.... how about this.

Attach a wire to the tail of the lure, thread a helicopter on, next put a bead on and bend the wire over.

The wire would act like an axial and the Helicopter would spin.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:58 PM, TrophyFishR said:

After watching the Larry Dahlberg videos on youtube, it got me to start tinkering with my tackle. I want to build a finesse whopper plopper for smallmouth. Shrink the WP90 down 50% in size, a WP45 if you will. Something that I can throw on my shaky head rod with 8lb test & spinning gear. River fishing really limits me to 1 rod soemtimes, so I've gotta need for the finesse version. I will keep you posted as I get ready to start ordering supplies & tinkering with molds for the very first time. I realize how deep this rabbit hole can be, Ive got 4 airbrushes & 60 bottles of createx already. 

I want to do the same.  I was thinking about hand carving 1 out of balsa.  Here are some I made after breaking down a couple of whopper plopper buzz baits.  I have not had a chance to try them yet.

ploppermini.jpg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JBarlow said:

I want to do the same.  I was thinking about hand carving 1 out of balsa.  Here are some I made after breaking down a couple of whopper plopper buzz baits.  I have not had a chance to try them yet.

ploppermini.jpg

Jon,

At the risk of sounding unmanly, those are cute.

I need something smaller than the WP90. I'm wade fishing creeks & limited to 1 rod most of the time. I need to be able to cut off my shaky head & tie on a topwater. Of course I could always use a PopR style bait, but they don't make the sound of a WP. So that's why I'm hunting for a finesse model. Btw, I was very disappointed in the megabass cicadas. They're going back to TW. 

On 8/2/2017 at 5:22 AM, 21xdc said:

JBarlow... Those are nice and you did a great job on them....  Looks like you will get a ton of line twist though.  Let us know how it goes. 

You were correct on the line twist.  They worked but twisted.  The opposing double mini did not twist bad but the single mini did.  No big deal though...I can add some swivels and will probably be good to go.

miniplopper.jpg

JB

• Like 1

I have built baits for 30+years and saw this coming. ;) But that is a nice fish anyway.  They need to be counter rotating spinners and or have enough ballast weight in the belly to keep the twisting down.  The swivel should help some. 

• Like 1