Newbie1

Making and selling senkos

The name "Senko" is trademarked. Do-it has their essential series mold that is an exact copy of the Senko, all the stick worms are close but they have small differences. Anyway, you can make a stick worm and sell them but they can't be called a Senko but I'll also help with something else. If you never made your own soft plastics or anything like that, well you're in for a treat, it is a fun hobby but there is a learning curve and there is material costs involved. The only way to make any money selling soft plastics or jigs is to sell a lot of volume and to get that kind of volume you will either need a lot of molds of the same bait you plan on making and a lot of plastic.  Then you have to file forms with the IRS and also pay federal excise taxes. I mention this because a lot of guys don't research going into this and they believe they can make a bait and sell it at a much cheaper cost, and the reason most can do it cheaper is they forget about the 10% excise tax but if you get caught you could be in for a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newbie1 said:

Can I buy the rights to make and sale them. I've looked online but I can't find anything I'm going to keep looking the patent search doesn't show snything. I might not be using it right.

Why would you need to do that? Just make them and call it what ever you want. As long as you don't call it a senko it perfectly legal. It's just a stick worm anyway. 

4 hours ago, smalljaw said:

The name "Senko" is trademarked. Do-it has their essential series mold that is an exact copy of the Senko, all the stick worms are close but they have small differences. Anyway, you can make a stick worm and sell them but they can't be called a Senko but I'll also help with something else. If you never made your own soft plastics or anything like that, well you're in for a treat, it is a fun hobby but there is a learning curve and there is material costs involved. The only way to make any money selling soft plastics or jigs is to sell a lot of volume and to get that kind of volume you will either need a lot of molds of the same bait you plan on making and a lot of plastic.  Then you have to file forms with the IRS and also pay federal excise taxes. I mention this because a lot of guys don't research going into this and they believe they can make a bait and sell it at a much cheaper cost, and the reason most can do it cheaper is they forget about the 10% excise tax but if you get caught you could be in for a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But it is not exact. the sand cast finish alone will alter dimension etc.  Even yamamoto molds are not exact between them. 

Edited by Baitjunkys

Thanks for the information. And as far as no money to be made its not going to be the only type of bait I'm planning on making I have a few of my own designs that I haven't saw anywhere else yet. Im not trying to get rich from this just make enough that I don't have to work a regular job. I do appreciate all the information that I have received.

6 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

Thanks for the information. And as far as no money to be made its not going to be the only type of bait I'm planning on making I have a few of my own designs that I haven't saw anywhere else yet. Im not trying to get rich from this just make enough that I don't have to work a regular job. I do appreciate all the information that I have received.

After 8 yrs I've been wrong the whole time.  I mistakenly believed I had a "regular job" pouring for a living complete with burns & scars.  A "regular job"....better think about this a little more, just being honest.

• Like 2

I know a guy who sells sticks almost exclusively, And does very well. Quality will sell. It surely wont on ebay or other like venues. Takes years to build a good customer base that doesn't mind paying for quality. But you always have guys who will buy cheap junk to.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, SRJ said:

Check ebay.

Quite a few pourers using "Senko like!" for their worms.

Also see where you might 'fit' with the prices.

eBay sells bic pen stick baits. I know a few people that do well selling them including myself but you hae to make a quality bait and cater to the individuals. Customer base is the key. If they catch fish theyll come back if youre prices are reasonable but not cheap. I think the cheaper you try to sell them the less business you get from new customers in my experience as crazy as that sounds.

• Like 1