Crappie85

Good crappie molds??

Hi im getting into making soft baits for fishing crappie and perch. Is there any that you guys recommend trying I have a 2 1/2 curly from bears i like that works well. I also have crappie dancer and split tail grub twister tail from jacobs baits. I notice that the crappie dancer tails get ripped of quickly by fish its ok but have to be sure to have a lot of them on hand to switch out. Any molds that you  guys recommend for crappie or perch?

I noticed you said you were losing tails . There are a lot of molds that the tail is thin and i have used a lot of Jacobs molds as well as others at least some from almost everybody . The ones that pesky perch steal are the ones i shoot in medium or hard plastic . Being that thin of a tail you won't lose enough action to matter by going a harder plastic.

• Like 2

Yes i loose the tails on the crappie dancers to little dink perch that hit it half dozen times per cast really annoying. The fish hit the tail for sure but i retrieve it back with out a tail. I like the idea of trying a harder plastic ive been using medium for all my baits... Im assuming the plastic is more difficult to tear the harder it is correct?? 

Edited by Crappie85

The 669 stinger is a great mold shoots 14 at a time . Works well with the twin injector also. I have 5 of these now and also have one that has the curly tail same body but has a curly tail  we shoot  8 baits at a time  in it.  I also  have 2 molds from Jacob's they shoot 10 at a time the body is a little more rounded it has eyes and is 2 " don't remember the name but it is a baby shad mold, good starter and is cheaper. caught a lot of fish on these. The 669 is worth the extra money  these are the ones buddies ask for. LOL Cub48

Sounds like the stinger type is common you guys shooting your stingers in medium plastic or going with the hard plastic?? problems with the tails being eaten off?? i noticed that the 669 stinger also has a laminate plate is that how you make them 2 toned? very interesting mold got me thinking....

Edited by Crappie85

I have been shooting my Stinger in the Baitjunky's medium. So far my tails have held up quite well. I can get quite a few fish off 1 bait.

I use a dual injector with mine but did order the lam plates as its hard for me to keep 2 colors hot enough with just 1 microwave right now so the lam plates make it easier by just heating one color at a time.

I don't like the lam plates i have tried them and had them to split where they come together. Plus lot of trouble to shoot and take the halves out and then shoot it again. I use the twin injector i heat both cups in the microwave to 350 F at the same time i then put them on my pancake grill to keep temp to about 300 F then i start shooting. if it is too hot it will mix  not lam, I did just notice the tail mold  i may order one if the price is right.  I use Medium plastisol as of now Baitjunky's. It is doing good and i have not had any problems. I did have some problems with another company if u pm i tell u . U will like the 669 mold  it is a very good mold i also use a carpenter vise to clamp my molds u mount them on your bench they have rods on each side they will set on them and will hold 4 or 5 molds at a time. PS i have not lost any tails with this mold Cub48

The stinger swimbait and the 669 stinger are very similar baits.  The 669 can be laminated and the tail is flat the horizontal way and the stinger swimbait can not be laminated and the tail is flat the vertical way.  Both are great baits and the 16 cavity tail mold is only around $20 so it's worth buying.