Landry

Swimbait designing/evolution

The thread on senkos and making money from selling baits got me thinking. My Muskie swimbait has been a year long obsession that has cost me a ton of money. At first I was motivated to sell them but at this point I have freed myself from worrying about costs. I have sold some and will likely do more but for now I am just focused on defeating this challenge  

I have been making a  9" paddletail swimbait for a year now. The first one ran well but was very rudimentary. I am on my 5th version now and have learned so much - the hard way. But I think I finally nailed it.

Designing a large lively paddletail with an internal harness that tracks horizontally level is no easy task. There are so many variables and I am so darn picky. At this point I have finally balanced all the variables; proper tail size/thickness/weight/angle, overall body dimensions relative to the plastisol firmness, nose design so water is pushed over and around it properly to help with lift, hook placement and tail softness so that it doesn't block/protect the hook from a rear fish attack. 

The pursuit has been fun and maddening at the same time. I have become so obsessed with it that I have at times chosen to design  this bait instead of fishing. Now that is concerning. lol. 

• Like 2

I feel your pain.  I have a hard bait that has done the same to me.  Finally got it to work right just a couple of days ago, sooooooooooo

sikpping a trip to Alaska to start a redesign. 

I think that making lure can be an addiction.

Look forward to seeing your lure.  Glad you got it the way you need it.

• Like 1

Well - poured new bait and it ran worse than before. Lol. Learning a little each time at 30$ a mold. Oh well. All is not lost though   

I  already had a very hard thumping and wide kicking 9.5" paddletail i like and now this new   mold turned out to be a perfect paddletail muskie jig so all is not lost. The lighter tail paddles quickly and easily so it's perfect for that. 

I now have a swimbait paddletail that I am 95% happy with and a jig that is perfect. My friend thinks I over analyze things and they r both perfect. He may be right. 

I will post pics this Fall of all my baits. 

Thanks to those who have helped me over the last year. 

• Like 1

Ditto on that Vman. I just got to know for myself. Grrrr

Landry, sometimes when you are almost there but frustration sinks in. Its best to get away and look at each issue one at a time. You know the design better than any of us and know what you tried and didn't. When you are truly relax with it, you'll find your answers.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your input  making gheee for myself but I have sold at least 30 of my perfected baits already to help offset the cost of this sickness  

I had made 3 different 9" paddletail molds, tweaking the thickness, tail angle, tail support and head profile. Each one had pros and cons. 

I walked away for a week and then revisited each mold from a different perspective. 

The one with the 90* tail angle and thickest profile runs fantastic with a spinner on top, which acts as a rudder, reducing wobble and giving me a big aggressive tail kick. 

The second one now serves as a deeper running bait(7-15'), with a lighter tail that kicks on the drop or at a crawl but runs true and level due to a new heavier and rebalanced harness/weight. 

The last mold has the thinnest profile and I made up a light weighted harness that allows this bait to be crept along for those sluggish Fall fish.  It also flutters left or right with a few quick reel cranks which looks totally awesome. 

The end result - 3 different paddletails with slightly different profiles, retrieve speed ranges, depth and action. Plus they r all different enough that I. An identify which is which easily on the water. 

I now have a line of musky baits that are like a set of tools. I will post pics next week when I get my new batch poured and painted. All the fussiness and over-analyzing has paid off. They run great and I can send Some extras off to buyers knowing that they are well designed products. I hate when I buy pretty lures that aren't designed properly. 

I now have the following Soft Musky baits 

- Spin Shad 

- Deep Shad

- Flutter Shad

- Wild Thing (a bulldawg style bait with 2 # 7 spinners)

- Jig Spin (a Shad profile jig bait with spinner on back)

- a 3/4 pound Bulldawg style bait (which lacks originality and therefor will not be sold though it runs terrific. 

Here is a pic. 

Top bait has two #6 colorados and runs real nice. Helicopters, slow rolls and can be burned in too.

The three swimbaits are a little over 9".

The one with the wire has a Colorado on top. It is stiffer with a more supported bigger paddle and really thumps in the water  

The fireperch runs shallow, wanders but never rolls and can be walked back and forth with small speed cranks while kicking all along. 

The shad/orange tail runs 5-15' and is poured softer so it can be fished super slow. It can be hopped and walked while paddling along real deep. 

The key to these baits was to tweak the harness to get them horizontal and to get the depth I wanted AND also tweaking plastisol firmness. 

Really pleased with them. 

Thanks for the support and interest  

Landry

IMG_6043.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Landry said:

Here is a pic. 

Top bait has two #6 colorados and runs real nice. Helicopters, slow rolls and can be burned in too.

The three swimbaits are a little over 9".

The one with the wire has a Colorado on top. It is stiffer with a more supported bigger paddle and really thumps in the water  

The fireperch runs shallow, wanders but never rolls and can be walked back and forth with small speed cranks while kicking all along. 

The shad/orange tail runs 5-15' and is poured softer so it can be fished super slow. It can be hopped and walked while paddling along real deep. 

The key to these baits was to tweak the harness to get them horizontal and to get the depth I wanted AND also tweaking plastisol firmness. 

Really pleased with them. 

Thanks for the support and interest  

Landry

IMG_6043.JPG

Nice job!  You've obviously figured out how to get what you want/need in a bait!

Landry...Impressive set of high quality baits.    Your finishes look very realistic and intriguing. Love the perch detail- looks like solid cheeks and internal vertical striping through op ache  body scales.  Would love to see them in the water so will send you an email. I hope that you have success in catching the big ones with your awesome collection.  Hats off for sharing your journey and to your dedication to the craft.  Cheers