d_read

Wire Size for line tie

Hey guys,

I have searched and searched but I can't find a definitive answer. I have made maybe 15 baits using 0.35 15 gauge stainless steel wire for my line ties. I have having a heck of a time getting good haywire twist. I can do them, but they take forever. I just want to be more efficient. I considered buying the skurge of the sea (sp) tool, but I don't want to spent the money to not get what I am looking for.  Is there an easier way to do this, or am I using to large of gauge wire?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I hope that my answer will get others to chime in on what they use.  Personally my answer will seem non-committal.

First, I don't use steel, stainless or otherwise, unless I am making spinners.  I use brass.  I find that most lures don't have issues with line tie or hook eye deformation and I like the fact brass is so much easier to tune/bend when you need to.

Second, it depends on the fish and lure size I am designing the lure for.  Obviously I might use much tougher wire for Redfish then for Rainbow Trout.  I might use much different wire for Yellowfin Tuna then for Silver Salmon.  Sometimes the wire I choose is for looks/balance, not just for strength.

Still, I can tell you the "brass" wire that I use for most of my work.

For most of my lures I use .035" brass wire in a coil.  For my larger lures I use .065" brass rods.

I have a Boggs tackle maker, and round nose pliers, and the Boggs handles the .035" fine, but I usually use the round nose pliers unless I am making a lot of pieces.  The .065" is too big for my Boggs and is tough on the round nose pliers.

Hope this gets answers coming in.

Edited by Anglinarcher
  • Like 1

I use soft temper stainless .041" wire for typical size bass baits.  It's easy to form and twist, makes the line tie easy to tune, and is plenty strong enough for bass, even stripers.  I go down to .031" wire for small cranks less than 2".   I've also used Malin saltwater leader wire #12 which is thinner and harder temper but still softer than hard temper stainless wire.  It is 190# test and comes in a brown "stealth" finish.   I order soft temper stainless wire from McMaster-Carr online.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BobP said:

I use soft temper stainless .041" wire for typical size bass baits.  It's easy to form and twist, makes the line tie easy to tune, and is plenty strong enough for bass, even stripers.  I go down to .031" wire for small cranks less than 2".   I've also used Malin saltwater leader wire #12 which is thinner and harder temper but still softer than hard temper stainless wire.  It is 190# test and comes in a brown "stealth" finish.   I order soft temper stainless wire from McMaster-Carr online.

Awesome info thank you 

I use .30 TIG SS welding rod. I use jewelers pliers and have very little problems. Using this type of "wire/rod" I have no distortion from any fish hit within reason. I can make a nice tight circle. I just use two regulars pliers to twist, one is grinded smooth to use at the eye.  I'll use a vice with wooden jaws when I have a lot to do. Yep it takes time to get the hang of it, but is well worth it.

Just my :twocents: as Ben would state,

Dale

• Like 1

Just from my limited experience with various wire types, I think soft temper brass is slightly softer than soft temper stainless steel.   I prefer the steel because it won't discolor over time.  If you are building wood baits with the line tie in the nose of the body a soft temper wire is a definite advantage because you can bend the line tie easily to tune the bait without breaking the lure's finish and causing the lure to leak.  I use soft temper wire on all baits.  On baits where the line tie is out on the lip surface, soft wire lets me twist and bend the line tie accurately for a neat application and allows the user to tune the line tie without hogging out the hole in the lip and ruining the bait.  Soft temper wire seems very bendable compared to hard temper stainless, and it is.  But when bent into a small circle for a hardware application it is surprisingly strong.  I've never had a bass break or deform a line tie or hook hanger made from the stuff and man, is it a pleasure to bend, twist, and shape compared to hard temper stainless.  Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

BobP, is this what you use?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=18vc5z4

If we can find a source, I think the soft temper stainless steel is a great idea.  Yes, it is slightly harder then the brass, but will not discolor over time.

Personally, I have not had objectionable results from Brass, but I would use the soft temper stainless if it was readily available.

Either their site or my ISP provider is super slow right now, so can't get through the menus but I think the "bend and stay" wire in 304 stainless wire is the one I order.  My last order was for the .040 " wire in a 50' spool and cost less than $10.

They have used different names for the soft temper wire over the last few years, from "safety wire" to "soft temper", etc.  when the site speeds up again, I'll check.

13 hours ago, BobP said:

8860K15 is the item I order.  It's annealed stainless 302/304 type wire in a 1/4 lb spool 55' long.  Price is between $6-$7.

thendiameter is .041"

I ended up purchasing some soft temper stainless from McCallister-Carr and got it super fast. I played with the stuff a little last night before work and it was awesome.

• Like 1

I think .88 mm is .034", thinner than the .041" wire which is similar to the wire used on "old style" balsa crankbaits.  Yes it is what we mean by soft temper wire though I don't know the specific temper state of that particular brand wire.  I like the Malin brand wire sold by McMaster-Carr.

It's all in what you are going to fish for. I'm not a liker of brass wire, I really don't know why. Other than my like for ss so much. I am thinking about brass for ballast. But if your happy with it than that's great.

What I'm finding out about bait making and painting there are some different ways to do the same thing. It's what you like and the only way to know is to give it a try AND new ideas.

Dale

I'm not sure what breaking a line tie with pliers tells you as far as how durable the line tie would be on a bass crankbait.  I can only report that no bass, striper, or pike has ever broken or deformed a hanger or line tie on one of my baits.  I use soft temper .041"stainless wire which is a little harder than soft brass wire and I only put 20 gauge (.032") wire on very small baits that are less than 2" long.   personally, I never was happy with the difficulty in accurately bending hard temper stainless wire with hand tools and was super happy when I tried soft temper wires.  It has other advantages than just ease of working it, as I mention above.  In the end every builder has to judge for himself what is good enough for his baits.

I completely agree. I have some soft temper stainless but it's a little big for bass. I'm going to try it on saltwater stuff though. I think I'll do a weight strength test on the brass. I figure I'd probably break the line before I break the wire. The wire States it has a 10 lb breaking strength. I'll see how true that holds. I couldn't break the stainless for the life of me though. Just deformed it. The reason I got the small brass is because ace hardware didn't have any smaller stainless. I usually just use hard Malin wire. 

Update.. I make a screw eye out of the brass wire and secured it down. I pulled on it with a scale until the scale maxed out at 55 lbs. I kept going and all it did was deform until it broke off where I secured it. I think it will hold up to bass just fine. I'd imagine the balsa bait would break in half before the through wire breaks.