blanx

vac 50 injection mold

Yes, I have done it, and will be making a video of it in the somewhat near future.  But......I am so far behind on commitments right now I could not even come close to helping you. 

I am sure you can do a great job at it.  Here is a good video of how to do it already.

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx#prettyPhoto/23/

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, basscatlildave said:

I need to make a mold of a simple hook tail worm. I did one out of plaster of Paris but it don't work real good. Let me know how it shoots.  Thanks 

IMHO, working with VAC 50 is easier then POP, but if you have not done this before, go to Hobby Lobby and get some Alumilite Quick Set Silicone, which has good dimensional stability, and do your hook tail worm with it.  It will shoot great and allow a bit more "forgiveness" to start with.  Go to VAC 50 next time.

I've made a couple injection molds out of VAC 50 for swim bait tails and had great results. The only issue I experienced was getting the master out of the mold. I thought I had everything sanded nice and smooth with no undercuts. One master I had even spray painted with gloss paint. Some of the paint stuck to the mold when removing it. Needless to say, both mastered were destroyed trying to get them out.  I used UMR mold release but it was still a pain. The masters were made with sculpey clay.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, DoubleT said:

I've made a couple injection molds out of VAC 50 for swim bait tails and had great results. The only issue I experienced was getting the master out of the mold. I thought I had everything sanded nice and smooth with no undercuts. One master I had even spray painted with gloss paint. Some of the paint stuck to the mold when removing it. Needless to say, both mastered were destroyed trying to get them out.  I used UMR mold release but it was still a pain. The masters were made with sculpey clay.

I always spray two or three coats of UMR when I do Vac 50 on masters.  I think the Sculpey seems to soak it up.  I have also used petroleum jelly on the Sculpey masters with excellent results.

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

I always spray two or three coats of UMR when I do Vac 50 on masters.  I think the Sculpey seems to soak it up.  I have also used petroleum jelly on the Sculpey masters with excellent results.

Im thinking about making another VAC 50 mold. Will try the petro jelly next time. The sculpey probably does soak up the UMR

• Like 1

just started making moulds with vac 50 is expensive especially for me in ireland as i have to pay transport costs and custom taxes so cant afford to goose it up but i found the moulds are great need to put petroleum jelly on the first half of the master to get it out of the mould but im just figuring out other problems with injection mould like dents  in lures any one with help on this is appreciated

Dents are caused by plastic shrinking and not enough hot plastic to fill it up as it cools.

Most larger lures are the ones that have this, so the injection port or a plastic storage area must be made large enough to provide hot plastic to fill in as it cools.  Also, holding pressure on the material after injecting for a few extra seconds seem to help sometimes.

You might repost this as a new topic to get help specifically on the dents.  It is a problem with all molds.

Also, you can hover over activity at the top right of your screen, then when the drop down screen shows you will see search at the bottom.  Click on it and type in the topic and you will also find lots of information about it.

In summary, the dents are common in lots of mold types and is a design issue. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, IBHUFFY1 said:

Anyone have a source for the Vac 50 nowdays? Seems it has been taken off the market.

I called Aluminite and they said they do not carry it anymore but their parent company sells this product that is supposed to take its place.  https://polytek.com/products/bc-8655-kwik-kast-ii-blue-urethane-resin