smalljaw

Gamakatsu released a 30 degree hook

I received my 5/0 Gami 345's today.  While the are the standard, superior Gamakatsu strength and sharpness, I was slightly disappointed in the size.  They are def smaller than the Mustad 32886 5/0 hook and almost have a slightly bent out gap/point.  The bend is not really noticeable until you hold it up next to the mustad.  

I am really hoping to use this hook in liu of the Mustad, I just wish the 5/0 was bigger or hope they will make a 6/0 version.

Here are some pics.  The pics that have 2 hooks have the Gami 5/0 next to the Mustad 5/0. The Gami is the smaller one.  The single hook pics are the Gami.

20170911_224937.jpg

20170911_225114.jpg

20170911_225246.jpg

20170911_225600.jpg

Mr B, thanks for the size comparison. I am with you on why Gami always has smaller hooks than everyone else. For as long as I can remember, Gami's hooks have always been smaller than Mustad or Eagle Claw, and I don't know why. Mustad and Eagle Claw seem to hold the same size standard, and the Gami comes in and makes their smaller version. So years ago, I spoke to a rep from Gami and asked them why they do that. He told me, it was to distinguish themselves from other hook makers.  Unfortunately, I too would like to see bigger hooks available , so they would be comparable to Mustad and Eagle. Thanks for the write-up

6 minutes ago, rustedhook said:

MrB thanks for measuring these hooks.  Was thinking of using this hook for the chatter baits I make. Im not a big fan of Mustard hooks. Im currently using the Mustad 5/0 spinnerbait hook.

Rustedhook, depending on what mold you are going to use, Eagle Claw has some really good BLN hooks I use for chatter baits. They are heavy and strong. Eagle Claw EL2706.

I feel the same Cadman.  Funny that they would "separate themselves" from other companies with something negative though,  lol.  

Rustedhook, I have been using the Owner 4/0 Spinnerbait hook in my Spinnerbaits and Buzzbaits for over 20 yeras and love them.  They are actually a bit larger than most companies 4/0 hooks for this purpose.

I am possibly going to design my Chatterbaits around this hook also.

Cadman I'm using a poison swing tail mold for my chatter baits.  I make my own S hooks for the eyelet and did just a little modification to the mold so I could put a spring wire plastics keeper on the hook shank.  I'm looking for a straight shank hook at least 2 1/8 or 2 1/4 inches long with regular wire but with a big gap.  The 5/0 Mustard spinner bait hook is 2 1/4 inches long. this sets the hook further back from the blade.

With this all being said, its probably just in my head. The first ones I made this spring I caught back to back 5 pounders and a 7.1 and the hook was aMustad 4/0

MrB would you measure your  Owner 4/O length and gap width. I thought about using the Owner straight shank 5/0 worm hook but it got bad reviews. Review sad the point would roll. over.

Thanks