Jig Man

Chatter bait questions

I plan to make up a few as my swim jigs aren't working well this year.  I have been looking around at components but don't know what sizes to get.  So here are a few questions for you guys.

1. Blades... regular or bubble holes

2. Blade size

3. Split ring size

4. Locking snap size

5. Best place to buy components

6. Anything I have over looked and need to get

Jig Man,

I use similar sizes as DaBehr

1. Blades, I like the ones with the holes. They are called bubbler holes, supposedly they push bubbles thru as you reel.

2. Blade size is standard unless you go Musky size. Many color options

3. Split ring size #3

4.  Duo lock snaps #2 or #3

5. You may also want to get some colored stick on tape that is precut to fit the blades. This will dress up your blades or you can paint the blades as well

5. I get all my stuff from LPO

Other than that, I use the Trokar Po Swim Jig mold which makes a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz head. Pour without weedguard hole. Use EL 2706 BP 5/0 or 6/0 hooks. These hooks will give you plenty of room for a split ring to move freely. Below are two pics of the way I make them. Which shows you the components assembled If you need more info PM or e-mail me.

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

I use the same sizes as Cadman. I use a #3 split ring and a size 2 duo lock snap and I use the exact same head as Cadman as well. I get my supplies from Barlow's Tackle but most should be the same but there is one word of caution, if you buy a name Duo lock snap like Eagle Claw, Decoy, or Owner, the size goes out the window as they are all over the place.  If you buy from one of the normal places like Barlow's LPO, or Jann's, then a size #2 should work fine for anything 1/4oz to 1/2oz as they all seem to get them from the same manufacturer.

16 minutes ago, Doc-Drew said:

Cadman, that top picture looks great, not saying the bottom doesn't.  Silly question.  How did you decide on the colors for that one?  Looks like you just took some left over tabs and tied them together ;).  If only I were that creative.

Several years ago, I had a customer that wanted me to make a jig that he called pumpkinseed. He wanted black, purple, ylw chartreuse and hot orange as a bass jig color with a matching skirt.  So on the jig head I have a ylw chartreuse body, with a orange belly. The jig sides are a custom purple powder I had made, with black top side. After he approved the jig head, I used the same color scheme for the skirt. The skirt has yellow and orange fish scale, muscadine and an old color whiskey purple all from fishingskirts.com. Once I matched them up to the head and then tied them up I really liked the color combo. Sent them out to my customer and it was a winner. I still use it to this day as one of my bass colors.

• Like 1