DoubleT

Sealing Wood

40 minutes ago, DaleSW said:

By the way, it goes a longgggg way. If you are putting out a lot of baits, you may be good. Still I would like to know your opinion DoubleT.

The bait that I am sealing is a 8 inch long muskie glide bait. I just make them for myself and some friends. That is the reason for the three cans of sealer and the 1/2 gallon mason jar. lol. 

You may have mentioned this already Dale but how long do you wait between coats? The directions on the can only mentions brushing on the sealer but it says to put them on back to back until it no longer absorbs the sealer. I suppose a person could do this dipping it as well.   

Yes sir, I dip them. I started brushing it on. As most as everything else it depends on humidity. It drys quick tho, and I wait till it's just hard enough to be able to touch but a little soft. I like doing this for tacking with the next coat. I guess that really doesn't matter tho, it's just something I do. 

Let us know how it is today or after you paint one.  :yay:

Dale

I wanted to add this. If you are paying premium prices for a product (Etex) use that for the eye of the user (fish too) and the sealing of the paint. Especially when there is a product out there that will seal the wood, but you never see, use that one when it's cheaper and it does the same thing other than the look.

It does make my poplar harder in my opinion. I broke wooden blocks that had it on them and some not. Two things for the buck, since you fish for Musky's.

Edited by DaleSW
Adding comment

14 hours ago, StriperCandy said:

I use wood hardener to seal my lures. I put them in a mason jar and fill to the top before sealing the lid. Usually I leave them for a day or over night. I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it, but it seems to be working well. 

How long do you let them dry once taken out of the jar prior to priming? I just dipped some the other day. Seems to seal really well.