Kscatman76

eyelet getting covered with lead...argh

I have the same problem with my mold. I filled the hook eye cavity on both side of the mold with high temp RTV sealant. The trim off any excess and high spots on the mold faces with a razor. Once done stick your hook in there, and the hook eye will compress in the mold eyelet. Should solve your problem. Or you can just put some sealant  right where the wire from the hook eye meets the mold cavity. I'm sure others will have some suggestions as well.

Mine did the same thing- sent in back and Jim Zeiner replaced it.Hold your mold closed against a bright light. If you see spaces between the cavities it is defective. You may try lowering the temp.of your lead and see if that helps but you need  an accurate lead temp. monitor. Soft lead will make the problem worse. Do-it sand casted molds are not precise molds like CNC but you get what you pay for.Some work and others are a P.I.A.

1 hour ago, Kscatman76 said:

thanks guys.  probably try cadmans' suggestion.  do you think what you used Is better than JB weld for modifying the molds?  I've used JB in the past and it worked okay but I'm willing to try something new for sure. 

I have used JB weld to make a lot of permanent fixes. With that said, if you use JB weld, and you want to use a different size hook later, JB weld may be more difficult to get off or file out. The high temp RTV is easier to work with, and it is also flexible so you can easily put a bigger size hook in one cavity without modifying anything, as the RTV is flexible.  You really only want to dam up the spot on the mold halves where the shank below the hook eye protrudes into the cavity.  I  will try to post a pic later tonight, or I can e-mail it to you if you PM me your e-mail.

Edited by cadman
  • Thanks 1

Go to the auto parts store and get Permatex red high temp RTV silicone, that is the stuff Cadman is talking about.  Put a dab in each eye and then let cure, remember to do that on each side of the mold. When it cures you can cut it flush with a razor blade and it will be good. As Smallmouthaholic said, when the mold is closed with nothing in it you can hold it up to the light and if you can see light through it the mold is defective. Mine is the same way, I pre-ordered it through Zeiner's and while they offered to replace it I just kept it and used it with the silicone fix. BTW, mine isn't bad, the 1/16oz gets a small amount of lead around the eye, the 3/32oz is perfect as is the 1/8oz nd then a little bit on the 5/32oz then the 3/16oz and 1/4oz are bad but I don't use those sizes much so the silicone fix is fine and it lasts for a long while.

• Like 1

Great idea for a less permanent fix...the high temp silicone.  I have used rock putty for mine, which is easier to alter than the JB weld, but I like the silicone idea, because it will accept different sized hook-eyes...not just the size you alter it too.  Thanks.