RSNeely

Looking for Conversion Information

37 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

Weigh it. Simple as that. Weight 20 or 50 drops and do the math.

Excellent suggestion.  Just make sure its fully stirred and mixed first. 

I have a little gram scale I use on my bait making bench all the time for various things.  Mostly I use it to weigh small batches of 5 minute and flex coat, but it would work great for scaling up color formulas too. 

I have a big box of  tiny little Dixie cups, popsicle sticks, and flux brushes I bough in bulk so I can just throw them away after I mix something, and every batch starts with the same tare of the little cup.  I still waste to much resin to repair a single tip top or a single wrapped guide, but I have a real good feel for how small of a batch I can make consistently.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

There are 98 drops in a teaspoon and 295 in a tablespoon. So you could just say 100 drops in a tsp and 300 drops in a tablespoon and that would get you close enough. You should be able to do all the volumetric conversions from there.

Most manufacturers go by weighing everything. For a batch I just assume there are 8lbs of plastic to a gallon, regardless of whether it is hard or soft. And 40lbs for a 5 gallon bucket. When working in large batches like this the difference isnt noticeable in the end product so i have never felt the need to adjust my color formulas based on the plastic firmness. Then its a calculation of how many grams you add. I always used "X" number of grams per "LB" of plastic and that is how I store my  recipes. Then regardless of the size batch I am making I can get consistent colors. 

The key is to find a gram scale that has decent resolution. Ideally 0.01g resolution is nice but they can get expensive for decent one. You should at least get a 0.1g resolution with a capacity of at least 1000g. That will do most everything you need to do. You can find cheap ones on the internet: Amazon comes to mind. 

So if you are adding 600 drops per gallon thats 75 drops per lb of plastic (600/8). If you get that gram scale weigh out 75 drops and thats your number of grams per LB of plastic. Just assume for this purpose its 1.2g for 75 drops. So in a gallon batch you would weigh out 9.6g (1.2g x 8 ) of colorant. Using the same process you would add 48g for a 5 gallon batch (1.2g x 40) In the end it much faster and more accurate than volumetric dispensing. You can do the same process for glitter. It might be a lot of work to convert your formula book but in the end if your turning your hobby into a job its what I recommend you consider.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLuvin175 said:

There are 98 drops in a teaspoon and 295 in a tablespoon. So you could just say 100 drops in a tsp and 300 drops in a tablespoon and that would get you close enough. You should be able to do all the volumetric conversions from there.

Most manufacturers go by weighing everything. For a batch I just assume there are 8lbs of plastic to a gallon, regardless of whether it is hard or soft. And 40lbs for a 5 gallon bucket. When working in large batches like this the difference isnt noticeable in the end product so i have never felt the need to adjust my color formulas based on the plastic firmness. Then its a calculation of how many grams you add. I always used "X" number of grams per "LB" of plastic and that is how I store my  recipes. Then regardless of the size batch I am making I can get consistent colors. 

The key is to find a gram scale that has decent resolution. Ideally 0.01g resolution is nice but they can get expensive for decent one. You should at least get a 0.1g resolution with a capacity of at least 1000g. That will do most everything you need to do. You can find cheap ones on the internet: Amazon comes to mind. 

So if you are adding 600 drops per gallon thats 75 drops per lb of plastic (600/8). If you get that gram scale weigh out 75 drops and thats your number of grams per LB of plastic. Just assume for this purpose its 1.2g for 75 drops. So in a gallon batch you would weigh out 9.6g (1.2g x 8 ) of colorant. Using the same process you would add 48g for a 5 gallon batch (1.2g x 40) In the end it much faster and more accurate than volumetric dispensing. You can do the same process for glitter. It might be a lot of work to convert your formula book but in the end if your turning your hobby into a job its what I recommend you consider.

Good Luck.

100/tsp and 300/tblsp is gold!  Thank you.

10 hours ago, McLuvin175 said:

Exactly what i was looking for. Im not at the demand level to start weighing my plastic yet. However i like to mix some basic (Better selling colors) up in gallons. Like Black. Just saves me some time. Thankyou!