Topwater plugs

Best epoxy clearcoat

3 brands are popular among lure builders.  Bob Smith, Devcon Two Ton, and Envirotex Lite (aka Etex).  All of them work well and each has a different set of peculiarities as far as the best application technique, etc.  if you want simple one coat coverage, Bob Smith or Devcon are usually preferred.

• Like 1

Dale, KBS Diamond Coat is a one part moisture cured urethane.  A polymer is defined as any heavy molecule made up of smaller molecules, so I guess KBS may become a polymer as it cures and its molecules crosslink.  But I think epoxy is a different two part formulation that forms its polymer through interaction of its resin and hardener.  You're certainly right that MCUs like KBS are becoming more popular for bait top coating.  Thin, tough, glossy, waterproof and simple to apply.  But not without some storage, handling, and coating regimen limitations.

• Like 1

Smallmouthaholic, I've never been very happy using epoxy on lead lures.  It tends to be viscous and forms a coating that seems too thick to me.  Plus if the lead has any sharp edges, epoxy will pull away from them during curing and leave a thin coating that will quickly wear away under heavy use, e.g. a jig head.  Personally, I like a moisture cured urethane on metal or lead lures.  KBS Diamond coat or Dick Nite S81 gets my nod.  They form a thin tough coating that adheres well to metals and is chip resistant.

• Like 1

If you use D2T, I recommend thinning with a drop or three of denatured alcohol (depending on how many or how big of a batch you do.  Thinner epoxies like E tex or Art resin (by far the clearest and uv protected) tend to be more flexible. Use a lure turner to ensure a smooth topcoat free from runs.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/31513-high-volume-cheap-lure-turner-lure-holders/

• Like 1