Cub48

Plastic turning

Hi Guys 

Has anyone  had any problems with their plastics turning dark after they have been in the direct sunlight for a while. Like about a couple of days or  so the first time i noticed it i had made a board for a friend to show them at a tradeday the blue/ice turned dark the green/silver or Monkey Milk colors were not affected but the other day a buddy told he had some monkey milk that turned brown , i have never had this problem  before. Now the monkey milk of the buddies  may of been out for a while not sure but we are going to try  some with some other brands  to see if it is my plastisol or is this normal  i have them in the boat and in boxes never had this problem just started using this plastisol a year ago. Cub48

Plastisol is not UV stable and will turn color over time with exposure to UV, this should be true regardless of manufacturer.  The color progression is similar to what burning the plastic is like. Which would explain why your blue turned green. I imagine your blue ice has a light pigment load making it susceptible to color shift faster than a "color" that is loaded with pigment or opaque. You can get into pigments that are not UV stable as well but thats a whole other ball of wax. Best remedy....keep em out of extended exposure to the sun.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for your reply well i never had a problem but i also don't leave my plastic out in direct sunlight.  You are right i dont have a  load of color in the blue /ice  or Monkey Milk  Are there any companies out there making a UV stabilizer or extender . Maybe Baitjunky can give some information on this please.  Would just like for my baits to last as long as possible and look their best.  I guess this fall i will put my label over the product to help protect them. Thanks McLuvin175 everything sounds good . Cub48