Ces

Cleaning up the surface of aluminium moulds?

Hey guys,

I recently received a new commercial spinnerbait mould that I'm 90 % happy with. All the specs I wanted and it pours easily... however, the surface of the spinner bait heads comes out very textured due to the finish on the mould.

Is there a way of polishing the moulds somehow to get a smoother finish on the heads? Its probably fine for powder paint but I want to airbrush mine.

thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

You can still airbrush without having to polish the mold. If you are using Createx or other airbrush paint you have to use a primer or white paint as a base, that should fill in slight imperfections. If it is that bad that primer won't help then you need engine enamel and it has to be applied in at least 2 or 3 thin coats. Who makes the mold, I had several spinnerbait molds including a custom and none have been bad enough to need to be polished.

The mold cavities themselves will have to be polished out. You can do this with a dremel and a small sanding pad. The only problem is that you will not get everything even, across all of the cavities, because you are sanding by hand using hand pressure. If you  don't care about it not looking perfect, take your dremel and sand/grind away.