aulrich

trouble pouring jigging spoon

I am having trouble pouring some baits , I have 2 do-it shad jigging spoon molds.  and basically regardless of size these molds are really tricky to fill out.

This is what I have

Lee production pot

The lead scuba diving weights (sort of hard)

Fluxed with wax

Molds are smoked

I do have a small ladle and with the small lures they come out with a reasonable failure rate.  With the big ones  4 oz and 6 oz I was not able to get a single decent pour.

Do you have any hints, right now I am thinking about getting better lead and a bigger ladle

I don't pour anything that big but I don't think that Lee Production pot will do it. Have to ladle pour it. Probably, even with the ladle pour you'll have to work at it as ladle pouring takes some good technique. Don't loiter when you pour. It's a quick continuous pour. If you still have problems you can try heating your mold up. Sometimes that solves things. These larger sizes will usually pour ok with harder lead also, once you get your technique down.

Apdriver is 100% correct,  while you can pour some decent sizes with a bottom pour, LEE doesn't recommend pouring anything over 1 ounce with the bottom pour, you really need to use a larger ladle. I believe you can get an 8 ounce and a 16 ounce ladle, that will probably work better for those weights.

It seems local availability is going to be a problem , so bigger ladle will be a problem, in the short term. 

this is what I can get in the short term, I anticipate having to bend it to get a pouring spout type arrangement

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/11-in-stainless-steel-ladle/A-p8177966e

I do have a cast pot that I can pour out of. in either cast I was thinking out using the production pot to keep a supply molten pour into the ladle, camp stove to reheat, then pour.

is that crazy?

I have used a stainless spoon when I smelt and it will certainly work. I would maybe use a small pot on that cook stove as opposed to heating in the ladle. You need a place to put that ladle when you demold. A pot works nice. It's also how I smelt and flux my lead is in a pot. Works pretty good.

I pour 3 oz Ultra-Minnows with my Lee bottom pour and  I have no problems. Here are some things I would try.

#1. Get rid of the candle wax and get some "Drop Out" it is a 1000 times better and you will thank me later.

#2. Make sure your molds are super hot.

#3. Crank up your Lee pot to 8 or 9 on the dial.

#4. Finally add at least 1/2 of a pot of some soft lead to your mix. Divers lead is very hard. Hope this helps

The drop out might be hard to source North of the border,  I might be able to find graphite mold release or would any graphite spray be close enough.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/jig-a-loo-graphite-extreme-lubricant-0381502p.html

I think I can find enough softer lead in short order to get me over the hump, and the mold is marked to use soft lead.

I do tend to run hot.

Edited by aulrich

Thought I would report back.

I was able to get some 4oz poured, I did find some soft lead and mixed it in with what I had. I bought the graphite spray . I used the ladle I had but it only holds enough if I completely fill it, like scary full. Procedurally I poured with the tail down and finish horizontal. 

I think the graphite spray made all the difference I really like how thing pop out of the mold. and what is amazing is how durable the coating is it will last a couple of pouring sessions.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, aulrich said:

Thought I would report back.

I was able to get some 4oz poured, I did find some soft lead and mixed it in with what I had. I bought the graphite spray . I used the ladle I had but it only holds enough if I completely fill it, like scary full. Procedurally I poured with the tail down and finish horizontal. 

I think the graphite spray made all the difference I really like how thing pop out of the mold. and what is amazing is how durable the coating is it will last a couple of pouring sessions.

So when you said "graphite spray" did you buy "Drop Out" or did you use something else?

43 minutes ago, cadman said:

So when you said "graphite spray" did you buy "Drop Out" or did you use something else?

High temp Graphite lubricant, it went on like spray paint. It was the exact same stuff I had linked above. If I had to guess Drop out is just branded graphite lube, maybe it has finer partials and if I was casting bullets where a thousands of an inch or 3  is significant then I can see the point. 

But cheaper and easier to get hardware store wins over (for me), a cross border internet order, for jigs.

14 minutes ago, aulrich said:

High temp Graphite lubricant, it went on like spray paint. It was the exact same stuff I had linked above. If I had to guess Drop out is just branded graphite lube, maybe it has finer partials and if I was casting bullets where a thousands of an inch or 3  is significant then I can see the point. 

But cheaper and easier to get hardware store wins over (for me), a cross border internet order, for jigs.

Oops, sorry didn't see that. Good info.

As it turned out , the bigger jigs were only really useful for rockfish, the 1.5 OZ versions worked just fine for the wind, current and tides at least this year.  I will go back someday jigging for salmon out of a kayak is a hoot.

I do need to figure out powder coat , self etching primer, paint and topcoat does not last, but that is another thread.

I'll need to learn about assist hooks rather than a plain treble.