DoubleT

Hand Pouring and Layers

I brought this up a while back but for the life of me I cant find the original post. I hand pour a large (12 oz.) musky bait with an internal harness.  When I first started I wanted to pour a layered bait and had grim results. I let the first layer set up for a little bit then poured on the second layer. About half way through pouring the second layer to the two  layers started to blend.  Should I have let the first layer cool more? Was my second layer to hot? I cant exactly recall the temps of the plastic when I tried it. I'm ready to give it another shot and thought that I would consult with the pro's first. Thanks

When I first hand poured laminated swimbaits,  I worked really hard to get the different layers to be cool enough to not blend, but warm enough to bond.  I wound up with some good, some blended, and some not bonded at all.

After a while I started just letting the first layer cool, and then pouring the second layer hot enough to melt in a little and bond.  I've never had a bait delaminate doing it that way, but I'm just pouring for me and my buddy.

I use the same method for laminated stick baits and Ikas that I inject.  I hand pour the first color into half the open mold, then close the mold and inject the second color at around 335 degrees.  Because the mold is already half filled, there isn't as much shrinkage with the second color, so I can inject it hot enough to bond with the first.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. I only tried pouring on top of the hot layer that one time and had bad results. What does work for me is to let the first layer cool, brush on some bond coat (which seems to me you told me about), allow it to dry and pour the second layer. Problem with this method though is I get a fairly significant seam line. That's what I would like to eliminate. Thanks

1 hour ago, DoubleT said:

Thanks Mark. I only tried pouring on top of the hot layer that one time and had bad results. What does work for me is to let the first layer cool, brush on some bond coat (which seems to me you told me about), allow it to dry and pour the second layer. Problem with this method though is I get a fairly significant seam line. That's what I would like to eliminate. Thanks

I don't remember telling you about the bond coat, but, if it works, I did.  Hahaha   Seriously, I have never used bond coat myself, so I am relying on the experience of others here on TU.

From what I've read  here the only way to not have a seam line is to inject both colors at the same time, and at the same temp., with a dual injector.  I haven't done it myself, but I read on TU that that's the way pros do it.

I don't see an actual seam line when I just pour/inject hot over cold with no bond coat, but the two layers stay unmixed.