Big A

Ceramic OillessReel Bearings

8 posts in this topic

Seen a lot of discussion recently on upgrading bait casting reels to ceramic bearings. Anyone using them have any comments?

I started to use them, and I do like them. I went with ZPI bearings, and they are smooth casting bearings, I do however oil mine.

This year at ICAST there was even a whole reel based on the ceramic oil free bearings.  I think it even won a best in class rating.

New minds, new ideas. 

Last weekend my son was having a problem with one of his reels. No matter what he did it would only cast about 35 ft, even with all the brakes off. No birds nests, no stuck line?

Did some research and ran across an article that talked about how bearings in baitcasters can get dry and also dirty which will hinder casting.

Took the problem reel and re lubed the drum bearings yesterday and today the reel worked like a charm!

Gonna have to take it back apart and check sizes and give them a try.

You can find them at Boca Bearings. Tackle Warehouse. Amazon,Com  and most reel repair shops. pretty much all the companies have a listing by reel MFG. Model. size ect., and some offer upgrade kits and others offer in quantities of 10 or more at pretty good discounts. Most kits run about $30.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, TerryF2858 said:

where do you get them from and how to order them by size or reel brand?

thanks

I get mine from Tackle Trap. The bearings I put on my reel were ZPI ceramic. About $8 each. My reel an ABU MGX baitcaster only needs 2 bearings , (1) on the spool and (1) on the side plate (brake side). Many reels have similar size bearings. You do not need to replace all the bearings in your reel, unless a bearing is not working. Only use ceramic bearings on the spool and sideplate. Putting ceramic bearing anywhere else is a waste of money. The best way to get your bearings, is to tell them what reel you have model and make. I always measure mine to make sure they send me the correct ones. If you want to measure them, than take a pair of calipers and measure inside diameter (5mm), outside diameter (11mm) and thickness (4mm). So the bearing size would be 5x11x4. On your calipers, always round up.  I would also suggest getting carbontex drag washers for your drag upgrade. Your reel will definitely cast much better.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I will help you.

One last note, you will need spool pin pliers to remove the pin on the spool to get your old bearing off. The tool is around $18.00

• Like 1