SMBLifter

Light Wire Swim Jigs

I had a few questions after reading up on these baits. I was wondering what weed guards would fit for these well. Mostly looking to use the 1/4oz weed less bullet mold. The fg30 is what the mold calls for but i was looking to make it an fg12 guard. I want the weed guards for a keel to so the jig runs true but don't need it for the heavy cover. Anybody have ways to neck down the pins to 5/64? Also any light wire hooks besides the mustad 32724's or will it be heating and bending the right hook to make it fit?

Contact Cadman, he had some reducer pins made that make it easy to reduce the size of the weed guard.  The pin is 1/8" diameter just like an FG-30 but the end is turned down to 5/64", the size of the FG-12 and I believe there are also some with the end turned down to 1/16" which is an FG-9. Now, there will be some modification on your part, you have to lay the hook in the mold and then place the reducer pin in the weed guard slot so that the area that is still 1/8" is right at the cavity entrance so lead doesn't leak out, and the smaller portion is in the cavity to leave a smaller hole for the smaller weed guard. What you will notice is you may have to trim the smaller end of the pin because the angle and distance for each weedless mold is different so the pins are made one size so it is very likely you'll have to trim the end but then you have a pin to allow you to reduce the weed guard size for any mold you'll like and the pins aren't expensive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SMBLifter said:

I had a few questions after reading up on these baits. I was wondering what weed guards would fit for these well. Mostly looking to use the 1/4oz weed less bullet mold. The fg30 is what the mold calls for but i was looking to make it an fg12 guard. I want the weed guards for a keel to so the jig runs true but don't need it for the heavy cover. Anybody have ways to neck down the pins to 5/64? Also any light wire hooks besides the mustad 32724's or will it be heating and bending the right hook to make it fit?

Welcome to TU. Smalljaw hit it on the head. The pins I have are very easy to use once you modify them to your specific mold. Pm me for more info.

As far as hooks go with these types of molds, what's everyone using? Anybody heating and bending hooks into 30 degrees for there molds?  Lookin for a hook that is around .045 and lighter in thickness and seems hard to find anything besides the mustad 32724

Edited by SMBLifter

5 hours ago, SMBLifter said:

As far as hooks go with these types of molds, what's everyone using? Anybody heating and bending hooks into 30 degrees for there molds?  Lookin for a hook that is around .045 and lighter in thickness and seems hard to find anything besides the mustad 32724

What size hook are you wanting to use? I don't think you'll find a 3/0 or 4/0 that light in a 30 degree bend. Gamakatsu has a new one out but it is similar to the Mustad 32886 and the EC 3886BP. 

3 hours ago, smalljaw said:

What size hook are you wanting to use? I don't think you'll find a 3/0 or 4/0 that light in a 30 degree bend. Gamakatsu has a new one out but it is similar to the Mustad 32886 and the EC 3886BP. 

I was wanting 4/0 size or 5/0 size.  Was thinking about buying some premium light wire hooks and heating and bending to 30 degrees myself. Any experience with this?

You'll get away with doing that to a heavier hook but not a light wire.  I think you'd be better off trying to bend it without heating it.  You know what might work for you, buy a pack of the Owner Twist Lock Light hooks in a 4/0 and remove the screw lock. I've poured swim jigs with that hook for a friend of mine, it was a little costly but it does work, the hook might be a little heavier than .045 but it is thinner than anything else in a 30 degree, especially at that size.

• Like 1

I bought some swim bait bullet style heads, but found that the light fiber weed guard they came with did not work as well int he weeds as I had hoped.  I pulled the weed guard out a few strands at a time and installed twin cable wire weed guards.  For my waters, they work much better.  This is the one I use:  http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Mold-Insert-Components/Wire-Weedguard.html