NM Hevi

Adding weight and Noise

I add BBs to some jerkbaits by drilling a 3/16" hole about half way back on the top of the lure, and then sealing it with bondo.

I mix the bondo, spread a thin layer in the middle of a piece of blue painters masking tape, and then put it over the hole, pulling the tape down tight, so the bondo is forced into the hole in a thin, even layer.

The bondo on the tape is about 1/8" thick. 

Once the bondo sets, I remove the tape, scrape the excess bondo off the bait around the hole, and sand the bondo over the hole down to flush.  

Then I wipe the bait down with acetone, to clean of any bondo residue and to clear up any sanding scratches, and then I put some runny super glue onto the bondo to strengthen it.  The glue is actually absorbed by the bondo, so it makes a really good seal and bond to the plastic around the hole.

I hope this helps.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I fill the hole by cutting a little patch out of a pop can with scissors and superglue it over the hole.  The aluminum is soft enough to easily sand it down before painting and thin enough to be unobtrusive.  If you are just adding bb's or lead shot a dab of epoxy putty will plug a small  hole.  The paint and topcoat will reinforce and waterproof it.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

When adding prism paper to the inside of some lures to mimic a reef runner naked paint scheme, I used a product called 5 second fix. It's one of those as seen on tv products, but it worked really well, was clear, didn't leak, and super quick. After it was set with the blacklight, I just trimmed off the extra with a knife and sanded flush. I actually found it in a Family Dollar store for $10 and it later went on sale for half price.

• Like 2