danthefisherman

Respirator Advice

Hello TU!

I suspect many of you are tired of this topic already, but I could really use your help! (I've already used the search function btw)

I am in the market for a relatively cheap but quality respirator to use while sanding, spray painting, and clear coating my hard resin baits. I will not be working indoors so long as I can help it. If any of you could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it...looking for something that is affordable and will last (replaceable filters). My search results yielded this one from 3M and I was wondering if it is a good fit and if it has replaceable filters. The ability to use while pouring soft plastics would be a good bonus too :)

Thanks in advance!

Dan

18 hours ago, hazmail said:

I have a few of these, I wore them until it got hot (summer) and that was the end of them, very uncomfortable 

Pete  ;)

Thanks for the reply, Pete! Can you specify a bit on what was the end of them? Did they give out or were they just too uncomfortable to use in the heat? I'll look into the spray booth thing, but I have the feeling that working/storage space will be an issue for me.

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

That looks like the filter I have.  Just be sure to use the organic vapor filters.

I only use mine now in the winter, when I can't leave the overhead garage door open and the box fans blowing.

Hey Mark, thank you for chiming in! That makes sense to just have fans blowing fumes and other nasties away...I'll have to look into this too! For the respirator, do you think there is a big difference between the two models I mentioned? I don't want to skimp on safety gear just to save a few bucks, but if there's no real advantage to the 6211 then I might as well go cheap haha

Dan-- Don't get me wrong, we do need to protect ourselves, especially with the '' 2 Pak'' clears etc.

The respirators I have (similar or same as you quoted) are hanging on the shed wall, I never throw anything out :lol:.

There a a lot of plans for ''spray booths'' See Google images) on the web, I think the main thing is to have  a fan system with a sealed motor, commonly found in oil  and gas heater fans, ''evaporative cooler'' fan motors are also sealed and all are readily scavanged from  these appliances- another thing also in common with being sealed is they are all ''pelton fans'''(I think you all call the squirrel cage fans there) which are relatively slow revving but move quite a bit of air--- Sealed motors need to be used to stop 'flash back' when using thinners based paints--BIG Bang if you don't.

Hope this is of some help. ----------------Pete

Spray_Booth_2.thumb.JPG.2c4fde58169c741eaf0d75afdfc67c8a.JPG

Booth_3.thumb.JPG.6d3cd0486bcd110a071bc1abaf8d3d4f.JPGSpray_Booth_1.thumb.JPG.c99d03bfe330c7ff8a8ecbdf16102ae0.JPGSpray_Booth_2.thumb.JPG.2c4fde58169c741eaf0d75afdfc67c8a.JPGBooth_3.thumb.JPG.6d3cd0486bcd110a071bc1abaf8d3d4f.JPG

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Thanks for the reply, Pete! Can you specify a bit on what was the end of them? Did they give out or were they just too uncomfortable to use in the heat? I'll look into the spray booth thing, but I have the feeling that working/storage space will be an issue for me.

Hey Mark, thank you for chiming in! That makes sense to just have fans blowing fumes and other nasties away...I'll have to look into this too! For the respirator, do you think there is a big difference between the two models I mentioned? I don't want to skimp on safety gear just to save a few bucks, but if there's no real advantage to the 6211 then I might as well go cheap haha

Having a mask that fits your face is important, as I don't know which model works best for you, but the most important thing is the organic vapor filters.

• Like 1

I'll add two things. A resperator needs to be sealed around your skin for optimum effect once you get the right filters.

Haz has some great info and I'll add one thing. Keep your duct for the exhaust the right size and as straight as possible. Do it right and the booth will last you a long time and protect you the best way possible. Simplistic and correct will do it.

With soft baits and painting we are talking about two different work types so the respirator can be used on both or a paint booth for paint. Your choice.

Good luck

Edited by DaleSW