JD_mudbug

Has anyone tried using a solid PVC rod for a bait body?

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a solid PVC rod as the body for a bait. I have seen threads on PVC  trim boards vs. PVC deck boards.  It looks like using a rod would be well suited for a MS Slammer type bait, assuming the rod would be strong enough.

Hopefully, Mr. Pouslon will chime in. His tips on PVC have been very useful.

Edited by JD_mudbug

1 minute ago, JD_mudbug said:

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a solid PVC rod as the body for a bait. I have seen threads on PVC  trim boards vs. PVC deck boards.  It looks like using a rod would be well suited for a MS Slammer type bait, assuming the rod would be strong enough.

Hopefully, Mr. Pouslon will chime in. His tips on PVC have been very useful.

JD, I'm sorry but I can't help you with this

I have never heard of or seen a PVC rod.

And it's Mark.

1 hour ago, JD_mudbug said:

Thank you for replying.

I had never heard of them either until I stumbled across them at Grainger.com. I was purchasing some 1/8th inch wide masking tape for painting fine lines on lures. Somehow, I stumbled across their PVC rods and was curious if they would work.

It would depend on their density.  The reason the AZEK decking and trim board work as lure making material is that they are light enough to be buoyant.  Without a sample I don't know if their PVC rods will work.

What uses are they being sold for?

There is no description as to what those rods would be used for.  A 4 foot rod has a tensile strength of 9000 PSI.   Impact strength is .80 lbs.    I don’t know if that would be sufficient  for an 8 to 10 inch swimbait.

Minimum temperature is 32 degrees, max is 140 degrees. I wasn’t planning on using it for ice fishing.

The above info is all the site says about it.

I will have to see how the rod’s specs compare to a pvc deck board.  A 4 foot long by 1 and ¼ inch diameter rod sells  for $19.56. Not a big loss if it doesn’t work, unless a piece breaks off in a bass.

https://www.grainger.com/product/POLYMERSHAPES-Rod-Stock-22JM41?breadcrumbCatId=16471&functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Thanks Chuck.  I think you are right. 

I found one brand of deck board that gave their product's tensile strength. It was 35 MPa for their solid board which converts to around 5000 PSI.  Their hollow board was 750 Psi .

The rod's strength is so much higher I don't see how it could have any air or floatation.