SW Lures

Foil

I have been laying foil on the sides of plugs and hiding the edge. I have also tried leafing over plugs, really don't like the way they turn out sometimes. I have got interested in foil totally covering plugs. I'm just looking for silver and holographic foil.

What is a good foil to use and where can I get it? Hopefully at a store that I can go and look at, like Michaels, etc. To wrap a plug seems a pretty hard task with the contour of a plug. Do you have any tips on doing this?

I appreciate your replies.

Thanks,

Dale

Not really any practical way to do it with seamless/smooth finish, as you eluded to.  

I just use HVAC foil tape.   I used an exacto knife to make slits as pieces have to overlap.  Then a lot of burnishing will almost make it unnoticeable.    I also messed at one time making a paper template  and removed the excess to get a pattern just too much effort.

You might do it with shrink wrap sleeves for lures, if any are sold that are plain silver (I don't know if there are).  Most of them come printed with pretty wild saltwater color schemes.  As far as regular foil tape, I don't know of any that are stretchable and can cover a whole lure without creasing.  I'm using Venture adhesive duct tape which comes in various thicknesses.  Some of it is thin enough that the edges disappear when burnished but it's still only good for lure sides.  Not a problem since the belly and back are painted anyway.

• Like 2

Yeah I understand BobP that's what I'm trying to find. I'm finding it hard to get a tape to wrap around. I know I will have a seam on the back and belly. Right now I put a ridge along the side/back to blend the tape in. I may take a look at those shrink sleeves.

I just didnt want to buy something that will not work. I see some baits with a fading back color. I can get close tho. I've tried the paints that sopposed to give chrome looks........not! It dulls with all kinds of clears. People on facebooks has tried all types of clear and I've tried others. It looks like a shiny aluminum, which isn't to bad. If I find something I'll post.

Thanks BobP,

Dale

I made some flat sided baits, and was able to foil them with a strip on the bottom that rolled up onto the side a little, a strip on each side, and a strip on top that rolled back down onto the side pieces a little.

I used the same Venture BritBak silver foil that Bob told me about, years ago.  I burnished the seams with a Sharpie body, and then sprayed Createx lightly onto the foil.  

I sealed them with two dips in AC1315, which was the clear coat I was using at the time.  The clear didn't take away from the shine at all.

The finish isn't bullet proof, but it's held up for five+ years of intermittent fishing and rattling around in plano boxes with other lures, and the baits are still shiny.

• Thanks 1

Hi dale,  I've posted previously about using hot stamp foil and tacky epoxy/glue to foil complete lure. Its a bit tricky but can be done. Depending on lure shape and size you can just about cover some  with aluminium tape, I use venture tape , and with practice you can cover certain lure shapes almost completely ....glider

• Thanks 1

I think Venture foil no longer makes the Brite-Bak foil, which was designed for stained glass artist's.   But they still make duct foil in various thicknesses, the thinnest of which works well on crankbaits.  I found some on EBay.  It seems equivalent to the Britt-Bak, at least I can't tell the difference.  Just FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobP said:

I think Venture foil no longer makes the Brite-Bak foil, which was designed for stained glass artist's.   But they still make duct foil in various thicknesses, the thinnest of which works well on crankbaits.  I found some on EBay.  It seems equivalent to the Britt-Bak, at least I can't tell the difference.  Just FYI.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks all, I will give your ideas some thought. I believe Gliders and Stretcher that I have seen that process or read something about it. Isn't it where you put a bait with the tape on it in a heated plate (2 sided) type machine? 

Bob I'll look into that company and the products.

I will do some searching too.

Thanks Stretcher, Someone I know of, bought the whole set up and is showing how he modified the machine to do plastic blanks. I may have a way to make my own type of machine I just need two parts. Which I'll start looking for this week.

If that doesn't pane out, I need another way that is fairly easyly do the heat fusion of the tape or fork out 250+/-  for a machine. Once I get my paperwork back, I can take it off....but ingenuity works some for me or someone helps me out.  :D

I left a message for Kasil but he hasn't been on for awhile.

Anyways thanks for the info,

Dale

Dale if you're asking about nail foils.. they use a different adhesive than the hot press foils. I own a printing shop and we use the common foils a lot on women's and kids garments.  The nail foils are really much thinner and much more flexible, especially if racked, heated a bit and put into a mold and pressed. (*low temp vacuum-forming ; )  The nail adhesive also isn't the same as the common printing and embossing foil glues (which require higher application temps and preheating to adhere the foil.  The nail foil adhesive is closer to sally hansens or a low tack superglue rather than the much thicker embossing foil adhesives, which imho cannot be beat for irons, vertical/speed jigs and metal lures that you can heat,  it's an aggressive adhesive and very permanent when heated but probably not the best choice for already smooth surfaced cranks and swimbaits.  Embossing glue  is better suited for metal jigs and is common with offshore manufacturers who thin the glue to stretch its volume and to fill gaps. they also need to be able to quickly brush it onto jigs in a production heat press setting.   

paints? I honestly dont know how wb paints do on it, the foils have a smooth surface, they take spray paints well so i would assume it would adhere by airbrushing..but i'm not totally sure. 

Luckily it's cheap and readily accessible online. so why not give it a shot?

Good luck brother. 

If you want a smooth shiny chrome seam free finish you need to just break down and pay the piper.  Vacuum metalization is frequently the process used to do large batches of chrome (aluminum) baits.   Most won't be happy with the results as they don't spend enough time on the getting a smooth blank.

What kind of adhesive is used on the foil pieces that are applied to chatter bait blades?  That stuff really holds!

My son-n-law's brother has a plating business, and he says the reason steel parts need to be coated with another metal, like copper, before they are chromed is that you need a softer sub-surface that can be polished, because the chrome won't hide any blemishes or irregularities.

Edited by mark poulson