Walking Dead

Spinner bait heads

I am just a hobby builder, and this is how I get around spinnerbait heads with no keeper.

You can make your own if you wire your skirts on.  

I actually use wrapping thread to tie my different colors and layer onto the spinnerbait, and then use a 5" wire (24 ga. from Home Depot is what I use), folded into a long U and pulled up around the bait head, which is turned in my tying vise upside down, to cinch up and secure the skirt material.

Use a long enough wire  to leave two 1 1/4" tags after it's been wrapped around the bait twice.  

Grab the two tag ends in a pair of visegrips, and twist them, pulling up as you do to really cinch the skirt material down.  

Then clip off the untwisted ends of the wire, and fold it back down toward the hook. The length I leave will vary with the length of the hook shank.  I clip it about 1/4" before the bend starts.

When you go to put a trailer on, just be sure it's straight and facing the way you want it facing as you thread it up and around the hook bend.  When you reach the twisted wire, start in into the trailer parallel to the hook shank.

I've had trailers (mostly 3" grubs) last more than one day with this method.  I only have to change them when the fish tear them up.

This method works for jigs, too.  It will work for any bait that has a skirt.